• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

500 Yards, Stock 1:48 Twist TC Renegade .50 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday’s short range accuracy test with the Ole STOCK TC Renegade .50 Cal showed me PLENTY enough to Head for Some distance :) The Old Renegade was up for the Challenge 👍

The Video

The Gong is 500 Yards, Ranged with my Leica 1600 Rangefinder
yBJROpT.jpg

a2QwYi4.jpg

BACO .492-450 Swaged Cupped Base Paper Patch Bullets, 80 Grains of Swiss 2F Powder, 1/8 Wool Felt .54 Cal Wads

XeIw1tv.jpg

3 Shots Measure 4“ inches, That is SUB MOA at 500 Yards with a BONE STOCK 48 Twist TC Renegade :) These Old STOCK Side Hammer Guns are VERY VERY CAPABLE Fellas :thumb: They just need the Right Components, and Someone to Get behind em, and “Drive“ Them

BAhTopB.jpg

Beginners luck, that's all. Strictly unrepeatable and photoshopped all the way too! I notice that there are no affidavits or sworn depositions included on the video either so I'm calling BS. 🤯
Gotta go, the men in the white jackets are here to give me my meds.
Mind blown btw! It is a neat sound to here that steel target "ring" when hit with a chunk of lead!

yes you can...tell a tall tale.

This, unfortunately, seems to be a common reaction to people that have worked on a shooting goal and achieved some success, which the commentor apparently does not share in the ability or dedication to achieve.

Put more simply "I cant do it, so I dont believe you or anyone else can, and therefore must be lying."

I have a TC flint hawken 50 cal, that I found in the bargain rack at the then TC custom shop Fox Ridge / Ledge, can’t remember, after they had been discontinued. Set up with a Wm. Malcomb scope to accommodate my 76 yr old eyes it is by far the best muzzleloader I have. Powerful, extremely accurate, and handy in the woods. Owing to those factors, and the fact that you can make a flint work with a bit of rock and some home made powder, it is the last gun I would ever part with. 🇺🇸🦅
What does a custom shop gun have to do with their run of the mill "stock" production garbage quality?
Don't know what they might have done to the lint locks at the custom shop, but the stock flint locks were about on par with Italian garbage locks. Cheap mild crappy steel that had to be case hardened just to spark. My TC flint lock frizzen did not make it through the first range trip and had to be "fixed" under warranty..... three times before I wised up and got a better gun.

I have 11 TCs right now, from 32 to 58, mostly 50 cal Hawkens and every single one of them is an excellent shooter, ten-shot ragged holes at 50 yards and 25 for the 32/36 Seneca’s. May be you can post how far and accurate you are shooting and with whatever gun you are shooting it?? Just a thought! Sub MOA at 500 is not joke even for modern firearms with scopes. It is easy to put others down without something to back it up! Enlighten me, please!

First how many shots do you need to fir before you actually hit the gong three times and declare a group? Excellent shooting to one person is garbage to another. The number of true stock TC guns that won anything at Friendship is counted on maybe 2 hands and a foot. By stock, I mean standard production barrel, and sights. Not tweaked with tuned set triggers and a Large barrel and Griffith lock with a false muzzle.

I shot competition for a couple decades. Used a 45 caliber H&H barrel, that was specially cut by Hoppy himself to my request. (grooves with oval, not round and grooves were 6 times wider than the lands,) with a Davis lock on an Italian Hawken stock that had been altered to my neck and arm length. When the stars aligned, with open sights I could shoot 5 shot 1 inch groups at 50 yds offhand. Did the same off the bench at 100, when I switched it over to the peep sights.

Sub moa at 500 is no joke. But it was not accomplished with a stock gun, if accomplished at all. (You are dreaming if you think TC ever supplied those sights on a standard 26 inch barrel renegade)

TC flint locks were crappy mild steel that had to be case hardened to even spark. I don't care if you own 178 of them. The stock guns simply were never target quality out of the box. They were intended to be "good enough" for hunting, nothing more.

This, unfortunately, seems to be a common reaction to people that have worked on a shooting goal and achieved some success, which the commentor apparently does not share in the ability or dedication to achieve.

Put more simply "I cant do it, so I dont believe you or anyone else can, and therefore must be lying."

I have shot enough BPCR to know the effort that goes into shooting long distances with black powder and bullets. The pictures show it was not a "stock" gun as was described. If that representation was off what else was "off".

yes you can...tell a tall tale.
So… @Britsmoothy says he’d like to take a shot at the 500 yard gong offhand. You respond with a tongue-in-cheek post asking why would anyone waste the ammunition doing this. He said “because I can.” And your response is that he’s telling a tall tale?

I would take that shot too, because I can. Not because I am certain I would hit the gong offhand but What the hell, it’s a few pennies fired at a distant target with equipment entirely suitable for the job. Do any of you people just shoot for fun?

“We’re put on this earth to fart around, don’t let anybody tell you any different.” Kurt Vonnegut

I have shot enough BPCR to know the effort that goes into shooting long distances with black powder and bullets. The pictures show it was not a "stock" gun as was described. If that representation was off what else was "off".

Anybody with 2 eyes and a brain can see the Sights are not Stock, The rear is a Lyman 57SML, the Front is a Lyman 17AHB Globe with a Lee Shaver insert. What i meant was The RIFLE ITSELF is Stock, just the way they came from the Factory years ago.

Anybody with 2 eyes and a brain can see the Sights are not Stock, The rear is a Lyman 57SML, the Front is a Lyman 17AHB Globe with a Lee Shaver insert. What i meant was The RIFLE ITSELF is Stock, just the way they came from the Factory years ago.

What you said and what you meant are now apparently two different things.

So… @Britsmoothy says he’d like to take a shot at the 500 yard gong offhand. You respond with a tongue-in-cheek post asking why would anyone waste the ammunition doing this. He said “because I can.” And your response is that he’s telling a tall tale?

I would take that shot too, because I can. Not because I am certain I would hit the gong offhand but What the hell, it’s a few pennies fired at a distant target with equipment entirely suitable for the job. Do any of you people just shoot for fun?

“We’re put on this earth to fart around, don’t let anybody tell you any different.” Kurt Vonnegut

I am positive he responded to the 1200 yd shots he could make offhand. gun forums have the most bull manure on the internet. I had access to a farm with 800 yd and more to shoot. at the gun store I heard all this bragging so I brought at least 12 guys there to duplicate what they say they could do. they could not do 20% of what they said. all of them. also there are tons and tons of ammo available even in gas stations to feel free to wail away

Last edited by a moderator:

nope my experience comes from watching braggarts fail at what they say they can do wether it is fighting meeting women or skill at the trades. also any one who brags 90% of the time cant back it up. watch for the guy that says nothing. if he could ring steel at 1200 yds offhand with a BP rifle he would be the best rifle shot there ever was and be making a lot of money. I have watched guys on u tube with 7K rifles not BP shoot with a rest on a bench at 1200 yds and take 7 shots to hit the steel and not able to do it twice in a row. those are the honest guys who do not edit their video

Re-read my last post CLOSELY (Post #71) The 1st sentence👍
you are an honest guy not a braggart had the rifle well rested and did very fine shooting. I am waiting for a guy here to say he could easily make the shots at 1200 yds off a galloping horse. a lot of guys here are old and it amazes me that in all that time they cant see that most people are full of manure

Back