• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

500 Yards, Stock 1:48 Twist TC Renegade .50 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it is yesterday, 60 Yards. Bullet & 2 Different Ball Sizes (.490 & .495)

2zJEjrZ.jpg

zUMnlkb.jpg

Top is 3 Shots with my Custom ā€œi Bulletā€ The Middle 3 Shot Group is .490 Roundball, Bottom 3 Shot group is .495 Roundball
8XHFsXG.jpg

Your experience more or less proves that barrels are not as sensitive to ball and patch size as most people think? I have a .54 cal. Ithaca Hawkin with a 1 in 66 twist rifling I have shot whatever I could get . It likes .530 and .535 balls. Both with 80 grains of powder. At 200 yards I have to aim about 8 feet over the target but can hit a pie plate 6 out of ten shots. My rifle has fixed buckhorn sights with no way to adjust except with Kentucky windage. There is no way that I know of that I could hit a 500 yard target? I can't even see that far? I would like to no what you estimate your hold over is on your 500 yard shot? Your video was very informative! I enjoyed watching it a lot!

Yesterdayā€™s short range accuracy test with the Ole STOCK TC Renegade .50 Cal showed me PLENTY enough to Head for Some distance :) The Old Renegade was up for the Challenge šŸ‘

The Video

The Gong is 500 Yards, Ranged with my Leica 1600 Rangefinder
yBJROpT.jpg

a2QwYi4.jpg

BACO .492-450 Swaged Cupped Base Paper Patch Bullets, 80 Grains of Swiss 2F Powder, 1/8 Wool Felt .54 Cal Wads

XeIw1tv.jpg

3 Shots Measure 4ā€œ inches, That is SUB MOA at 500 Yards with a BONE STOCK 48 Twist TC Renegade :) These Old STOCK Side Hammer Guns are VERY VERY CAPABLE Fellas :thumb: They just need the Right Components, and Someone to Get behind em, and ā€œDriveā€œ Them

BAhTopB.jpg

That is flat out amazing. Great shooting and thanks for the info.

Most TC barrels were not rifled or crowned uniformly enough for such accuracy. My TC Hawken had one groove that was barely a scratch and the flint locks were not worth manure.

And lets see a ten shot group..
I have 11 TCs right now, from 32 to 58, mostly 50 cal Hawkens and every single one of them is an excellent shooter, ten-shot ragged holes at 50 yards and 25 for the 32/36 Senecaā€™s. May be you can post how far and accurate you are shooting and with whatever gun you are shooting it?? Just a thought! Sub MOA at 500 is not joke even for modern firearms with scopes. It is easy to put others down without something to back it up! Enlighten me, please!

Here it is yesterday, 60 Yards. Bullet & 2 Different Ball Sizes (.490 & .495)

2zJEjrZ.jpg

zUMnlkb.jpg

Top is 3 Shots with my Custom ā€œi Bulletā€ The Middle 3 Shot Group is .490 Roundball, Bottom 3 Shot group is .495 Roundball
8XHFsXG.jpg

why bother replying to a guy like that. you did some good shooting and discovered the perfect bullet for that rifle

If there was one thing I would like to see, I would love to see a shot made off hand.
The rifle is clearly capable and if I were there I would be asking for a crack at it šŸ˜Š
offhand is easy . when I shoot at 1200 yds they tie my feet together hoist me tied to a branch upside down where I make the shot. talk about wind blowing me around. but I practice a lot. who in gods name would waste ammo offhand at 1200 yds

Idaholewis

That is some excellent shooting. I've followed your videos and writing over the years and have two questions. I use the same paper for patching, do you wet or dry patch? The second question is have you ever cracked a windshield on discharge:).

Kno-ie

Looking good.

Im looking forward to shooting mine at distance when Im able to get back to my home neighborhood again. You mentioned buying the bullets to paper patch, is there a mold thats compatible?

And offhand, yes, its a lot of fun, and not as difficult as most make it out once you start getting in the habit of doing it. Certainly not on the accuracy level of rested or sitting fire, but by no means simply wasting ammo. Most of my rifle shooting of the past 15 years has been offhand at the 300 and 600 yard plates, and most of my pistol shooting the past 20 or more years has been one handed and out to 300 or so yards. Its by no means an uncommon past time in my neighborhood, Im trying to catch up with the old geezers that have been doing it much longer than I have. Try it a couple years, then when you do shoot two handed, it seems like cheating. :)

Practice the hardest stuff the most, then all the rest seems much easier.

Back