• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

500 Yards, Stock 1:48 Twist TC Renegade .50 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

40 Cal
Reaction score
Yesterday’s short range accuracy test with the Ole STOCK TC Renegade .50 Cal showed me PLENTY enough to Head for Some distance :) The Old Renegade was up for the Challenge 👍

The Video

The Gong is 500 Yards, Ranged with my Leica 1600 Rangefinder
yBJROpT.jpg

a2QwYi4.jpg

BACO .492-450 Swaged Cupped Base Paper Patch Bullets, 80 Grains of Swiss 2F Powder, 1/8 Wool Felt .54 Cal Wads

XeIw1tv.jpg

3 Shots Measure 4“ inches, That is SUB MOA at 500 Yards with a BONE STOCK 48 Twist TC Renegade :) These Old STOCK Side Hammer Guns are VERY VERY CAPABLE Fellas :thumb: They just need the Right Components, and Someone to Get behind em, and “Drive“ Them

BAhTopB.jpg

Most TC barrels were not rifled or crowned uniformly enough for such accuracy. My TC Hawken had one groove that was barely a scratch and the flint locks were not worth manure.

And lets see a ten shot group..

Here it is yesterday, 60 Yards. Bullet & 2 Different Ball Sizes (.490 & .495)

2zJEjrZ.jpg

zUMnlkb.jpg

Top is 3 Shots with my Custom “i Bullet” The Middle 3 Shot Group is .490 Roundball, Bottom 3 Shot group is .495 Roundball
8XHFsXG.jpg

Most TC barrels were not rifled or crowned uniformly enough for such accuracy. My TC Hawken had one groove that was barely a scratch and the flint locks were not worth manure.

I don’t know how many TC blackpowder sidelock guns were produced over the years........guessing hundreds of thousands. Curious to know how you are certain that most of those hundreds of thousands rifled barrels were of such poor quality? Personally I have only had one that wasn’t worth a darn but some of the others were just plain exceptionally accurate. That is quite a statement for someone to make that obviously could not examine enough of those total produced barrels. Greg

I don’t know how many TC blackpowder sidelock guns were produced over the years........guessing hundreds of thousands. Curious to know how you are certain that most of those hundreds of thousands rifled barrels were of such poor quality? Personally I have only had one that wasn’t worth a darn but some of the others were just plain exceptionally accurate. That is quite a statement for someone to make that obviously could not examine enough of those total produced barrels. Greg

The ONLY Bad TC’s i have had were 2 With QLA Muzzles, they were HORRIBLE at best, I avoid them like the Plague. Other than those 2, My experiences with TC Hawken’s and Renegades have been ALL Good, They are my Favorite Rifle, I own Several of them, They all shoot EXTREMELY well

I have I think 15 TC guns, and they have all proven to be excellent quality. Really not sure what to think about this statement. I sure cant shoot like Lewis, but I bet if I wrapped any of them in bubble wrap and shipped them out to Idaho, they would turn in the same groups.

The ONLY Bad TC’s i have had were 2 With QLA Muzzles, they were HORRIBLE at best, I avoid them like the Plague. Other than those 2, My experiences with TC Hawken’s and Renegades have been ALL Good, They are my Favorite Rifle, I own Several of them, They all shoot EXTREMELY well
Yes, the only bad TC I owned had the QLA barrel as well. I could not get rid of that rifle fast enough. I can’t honestly remember what I did with it. Sure I traded it off for something. The TC Hawken has long been a favorite of mine when I need to count on accuracy. Greg

That is SUB MOA at 500 Yards with a BONE STOCK 48 Twist TC Renegade :) These Old STOCK Side Hammer Guns are VERY VERY CAPABLE Fellas :thumb: They just need the Right Components, and Someone to Get behind em, and “Drive“ Them
Yeah, some of us have been tryin to tell ya that for years!! 😉
😆😇,
But Honest,
It is your extraordinary work and attention to detail that allows these guns to preform they way they do.
Thank You for sharing with us your works all these years, be-it here, in the many video lessons and the personal help you've provided for the group.

That’s one of the ones I have seen before. I like others have mentioned started out long ago shooting TC guns. They have all shot better than I can and I have always felt they are good guns. The Renegade is one of my favorites. Seeing you shooting this long range brings back the memories of BPCR for me and shooting my Sharps

Just watched the 500 yard video…WOW! I watched the other ones when they came out, as well. I don’t know that any of us would shoot as well as you, but you have certainly shared all of the tips and tricks we would need to do so.

Thank you, and please keep making your videos and sharing your knowledge on the forums!

‘Poet

Also, have you tried a patched roundball at that distance? Or maybe the question should be, “What is the farthest you have accurately shot a patched roundball?”

Thanks again!

‘Poet

I have Shot and Recovered .490 Balls out to 600 Yards in a 10-12 Foot Dirt Bank. I was trying to Hit my gong but never did, There was some wind kicked up and ended my Shooting so I can’t speak of Accuracy. 200 Yards is the farthest i have Shot Roundball accurately

Here is 1 of the .490 Balls i recovered at 600 Yards, It’s safe to say that this is the end of the line, the Ball doesn’t have much left here, Stil wouldn’t want hit with it though :)
57i1DQ9.jpg

Latest posts

Back