• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 Soddy Inspired Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EttoreR

32 Cal
Reaction score
I recently completed this rifle for a coworker, he wanted something southern. I showed him examples of kibler's mountain rifle, Soddys and Beans, He liked them all so I drew inspiration from them all. Turned out to be a nice light rifle, The stock is very slender and it balances out very well. Now I just need to drag him out of his cave to go shoot with me! The wood is nothing fancy, just a grade 1 curly maple, all Iron furniture, and a 42 inch 50 caliber GM barrel. Al wanted in simple so the only fancy stuff is some minor engraving, fire blued screws filed a little bit fancy, basic butt/ fore end molding, and a hunters star inlay. I couldn't find an appropriate side plate so i made one of of some scrap steel.

Attachments

• DSC-1827.jpg
    DSC-1827.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC-1828.jpg
    DSC-1828.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC-1830.jpg
    DSC-1830.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC-1832.jpg
    DSC-1832.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC-1834.jpg
    DSC-1834.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC-1836.jpg
    DSC-1836.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC-1837.jpg
    DSC-1837.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC-1839.jpg
    DSC-1839.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC-1843.jpg
    DSC-1843.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC-1846.jpg
    DSC-1846.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 125
I recently completed this rifle for a coworker, he wanted something southern. I showed him examples of kibler's mountain rifle, Soddys and Beans, He liked them all so I drew inspiration from them all. Turned out to be a nice light rifle, The stock is very slender and it balances out very well. Now I just need to drag him out of his cave to go shoot with me! The wood is nothing fancy, just a grade 1 curly maple, all Iron furniture, and a 42 inch 50 caliber GM barrel. Al wanted in simple so the only fancy stuff is some minor engraving, fire blued screws filed a little bit fancy, basic butt/ fore end molding, and a hunters star inlay. I couldn't find an appropriate side plate so i made one of of some scrap steel.
Simply beautiful

I really like this rifle. Did you make the stock?
Thank you! This was a precarve, between work and other things I simply just didn't have the time to make it from a blank, which has been my usual go to for a while now. The next rifle I make will definitely be by blank though. Precarves are almost more difficult lol

Thank you! This was a precarve, between work and other things I simply just didn't have the time to make it from a blank, which has been my usual go to for a while now. The next rifle I make will definitely be by blank though. Precarves are almost more difficult lol
We have an amazing gun builder in our area.

His feelings are: Bring me the parts and a chunck of wood, and I’ll build you a beautiful custom rifle; bring me a pre-carved stock…well I’ll do my best.

It's beyond me how you can make a stock so thin and so long from a blank. One mistake and it turns into kindling. It has to be easier than I think it is.

Latest posts

Back