• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 PRB on turkey?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience shooting turkeys with round ball? Some states it’s legal; some it’s not. Here, it’s legal as long as it comes out of a smoothbore. Just curious what kind of meat damage I’d be looking at with a lighter charge of about 60 gr 2F and a 144 gr bismuth ball to the vitals. Definitely would have the accuracy I’d need and that out much further than I’d need. But if it’s going to tear things up too much, it’s not worth it to me. Any experiences from the group?

Certainly not impossible.

Attachments

• E5A740A8-8A81-4295-950B-C991966216AC.jpeg
    E5A740A8-8A81-4295-950B-C991966216AC.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 25
It would likely depend on the gauge of the gun. A 20 through a 12, naah! a 410 ga. through a 24 ga.....probably good to go. The only time I would use a ball on turkey would be a .32 through .40 rifle. Up here it's shot only.

I'll start off by saying that I have no experience shooting turkey with anything, but it seems to me that 60 grains is a bit much for a turkey load. I would think half that would be enough for shots to the head or the wing butts or the Texas heart shots the archery guys use (center of the fan when he's facing away from you). I see a lot of the same talk about shooting small game with .36 to .50 rifles with people talking about how you would destroy all the edible meet or the hide. A .36 caliber round ball out of sling shot will cleanly kill a rabbit or a squirrel. But it's a lot easier to hit them with set of iron sights and a rifle length barrel. Load those larger bores down with pistol level loads maybe 1/2 bore diameter. Just my own opinion, I'm sure others may disagree.

A full load in a .32 seems good. Have a friend that's killed 4 turkeys w/ his .32 , holding center mass. What's not to use ,is full load in a .40. That load vaporizes tissue. I'de back it down to a lower velocity.

I killed a lot of small game with a .54 Investarms Hawken back in my ignorant days before the internet. Around 30 grains of whatever powder, usually Pyrodex P, and a PRB (using old t-shirts smeared with Crisco as a patch) did the trick. I imagine a .50 loaded similarly would do just fine for turkey.

I'll start off by saying that I have no experience shooting turkey with anything, but it seems to me that 60 grains is a bit much for a turkey load. I would think half that would be enough for shots to the head or the wing butts or the Texas heart shots the archery guys use (center of the fan when he's facing away from you). I see a lot of the same talk about shooting small game with .36 to .50 rifles with people talking about how you would destroy all the edible meet or the hide. A .36 caliber round ball out of sling shot will cleanly kill a rabbit or a squirrel. But it's a lot easier to hit them with set of iron sights and a rifle length barrel. Load those larger bores down with pistol level loads maybe 1/2 bore diameter. Just my own opinion, I'm sure others may disagree.
Depends what your rifle likes i guess. My Seneca will not shoot with less than 60gn of 2f,which granted is a big load in a 36 and not really what I wanted to use. But anything less results in terrible groups so its what I'm forced to use.

Only turkey I killed with a muzzleloader was back in the 80’s using a TC Renegade with a PRB and 90 grains of pyrodex. That gun would only shoot good with a heavy charge. Neat hole going in with no meat damage at all.

My 50 cal Kentucky will punch throught 2” rought cut hemlock with 30 grains of Tripple 7 FFFG out past 50 yards. Should be enough for turkey….

Shot one once thru the body w an old 38 caplock thats been handed down sev. generations....dead within a few yards,and wasn't tore up at all. Range about 20 or so yards

Anybody have any experience shooting turkeys with round ball? Some states it’s legal; some it’s not. Here, it’s legal as long as it comes out of a smoothbore.

Here's it's legal during the fall season, but only shot pellets in the spring season.
The beauty of the ML is that you can tailor the powder charge.
I remember when Glen Campbell shot that turkey with his .54 Sharps carbine, in True Grit, and John Wayne remarked when they saw how tore up the bird was, saying "too much gun".

I have a .40 that I'd use, with about 30 grains of BP

LD

Ive shot them with numerius guns n even 58 with 60gr of 3f n prb did minimal damage. Not near the damage as thise ive shot with unmentionable rifles

Well, I had a tom walking off at about 30 yards -- I think he saw me. I took the facing away shot. The last thing I remember seeing before smoke flew was my front sight centered on his back. Must have done some kind of Matrix move because the next thing I saw was his wings outstretched & then him walking away & watching me reload & muttering curses. Didn't even loose a feather on him. Oh well. That's turkey hunting. I'll have more chances before the season ends.

Back