• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

FOR SALE 50 Cap & Ball Pistol Loading Tubes and Case

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a good article and Study/Testing on the subject.

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html

I've used my plastic tubes since 1999, and never had static charges ignite black powder, or any gun powder.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/jesuslives2saveu/m.html?item=181609219363&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
Thank you, just what I was looking for. The warning on the LEE powder measure dippers got my attention! Crazy Bill makes a great point. All my black powder comes in plastic bottles as well. Also, we use a humidifier in the winter, keep humidity at 45% good for us, and good for Martin D28 guitar! Keeps static spark in the house non existent too!
Thanks again for the info!

BTW, I was amazed to see the test sparking didn’t ignite the powder in your linked article! Makes me feel a lot better about it. Lots of fear mongering info out there when it comes to black powder.
LEE’s legal team may have dictated that warning about static sparks, I guess the dryer softener sheets, or dish soap film won’t hurt, but not critical.

The Lee warning was probably suggested by their legal team.
It might also be because the Lee dippers are usually used with smokeless powder.
Smokeless powder doesn't contain carbon like charcoal and graphite like black powder does. The carbon serves as a conductor of the static electricity and by doing this, the electricity travels around the granules rather than thru them, producing almost no heat.

As far as I know, smokeless powder doesn't ignite when static electricity hits it but I haven't seen anything to really support this.

I would be more worried about someone talking on their cell phone while pumping gas than static electricity and black powder.

The Lee warning was probably suggested by their legal team.
It might also be because the Lee dippers are usually used with smokeless powder.
Smokeless powder doesn't contain carbon like charcoal and graphite like black powder does. The carbon serves as a conductor of the static electricity and by doing this, the electricity travels around the granules rather than thru them, producing almost no heat.

As far as I know, smokeless powder doesn't ignite when static electricity hits it but I haven't seen anything to really support this.
The washing in soapy water and not rinsing is a way to reduce static ‘cling’ so the powder doesn’t stick to the tube, or in Lee’s case, the dipper.

laundry anti static sheets, yes!! I use them when my wife is done with them, still work fine! and they are free!!

Bah, I thing that all the people is thinking too much about the static electricity...

I remember, it was almost forty five or fifty years ago, in my land the M.L.A.I.C in the new rules was saying about that: only the glass tubes were good for the use of shooting powder and the end of this story is in fact that in this time the only important producer of them was Pedersoli (did you have seen the close contact between MLAIC and Pedersoli ?), the price of those tubes was prohibitive and we have looked for plastic tubes.

In Europa the MLAIC is omnipotent and is the only one that makes rules in competition, challenges and internal rules of the clubs concerning the BP, so the glass tubes became an obligation for years.

So, now all the new shooters think first about the risk of exploding before they shoot for the first time and everybody and is brother ask about glass tubes.
In fact we explain that all our tubes are in plastic (or polypropylene) coming from China and very low cost and after several tests never one tube had exploded: all is in plastic, tubes in plastic, powder dosing machines LEE and almost that we are using...

The only precaution is to clean one or two times those tubes with something like Teepol or other produce for dishes washing.

I don't care 'bout all that and all my tubes (and those for my friends too) are mosly coming from Ali Express (like Amazon quality but lower cost) or from some laboratories dowtown.

In now more of sixty years of shooting rifles, pistols and revolvers I never ear somebody that have seen powder exploded and for the primer powder too however we use OB and Swiss N°1 for priming...

Go in peace brothers, the Lord has done things well...................................... at least over this point... ;)

I did a real work to write this in English (It's easier in French :D ) and I hope that somebody will be able to understand me. :(

Have nice day. ;)

Erwan.

Last edited:
Erwan, don't worry about your 'English' as we Americans don't speak it either:)
When I write an email to France or Canada I send my original english along with an automatically interpreted one in French.
If I knew how to PM you we could talk more on this subject.

Put your cursor over the persons name and select it. That will open a window that allows you to start a PM. Select Start a Conversation, give it a title, write your message and send it.
You will find your PM's in the envelope at the upper right hand area of the MLF screen.

Back