• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.50 caliber Smoothbores?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.J.Bruce

40 Cal
Reaction score
Over the past few years I have seen at least a dozen of these .50 caliber smoothbore percussion guns show up on various sites for sale. In addition, Mike Brooks has built at least two .50 caliber smooth rifles for his recent customers, and another Lehigh style that was a work of art that he made just because he felt like it.

I'm the past couple of months, there have been at least 4-5 for sale, either here, on Guns International, Gun Broker, ebay, or ALR.

My question is, does any member here currently own/or used to own, one of these .50 caliber smoothbores. If so I would like for you to put forth what your experience is/was.

PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T talk about 28 & 24 gauge guns. I don't feel that the ballistics of the .54 caliber & .55 caliber 28 gauge smoothbore guns really translates down to the .50 caliber/37.4 gauge.

That 0.050" to 0.040" reduction in bore diameter is very dramatic as far as ballistics is concerned.

I am pretty sure that Britsmoothy can directly relate to this. Pattern spread in a .50 caliber bore, or a .45 caliber bore like Britsmoothy shoots, is way different from a 28 gauge.

Thanks for your help.

Over the past few years I have seen at least a dozen of these .50 caliber smoothbore percussion guns show up on various sites for sale. In addition, Mike Brooks has built at least two .50 caliber smooth rifles for his recent customers, and another Lehigh style that was a work of art that he made just because he felt like it.

I'm the past couple of months, there have been at least 4-5 for sale, either here, on Guns International, Gun Broker, ebay, or ALR.

My question is, does any member here currently own/or used to own, one of these .50 caliber smoothbores. If so I would like for you to put forth what your experience is/was.

PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T talk about 28 & 24 gauge guns. I don't feel that the ballistics of the .54 caliber & .55 caliber 28 gauge smoothbore guns really translates down to the .50 caliber/37.4 gauge.

That 0.050" to 0.040" reduction in bore diameter is very dramatic as far as ballistics is concerned.

I am pretty sure that Britsmoothy can directly relate to this. Pattern spread in a .50 caliber bore, or a .45 caliber bore like Britsmoothy shoots, is way different from a 28 gauge.

Thanks for your help.
To be honest, with 3/4oz in my 45 I doubt it is much different to a 28g.
It's amazing what a smoothrifle is capable off despite what them that don't own one may say or think!
Being of rifle barrel they have huge potential with ball and at respectable distance.
Go for it. You will not be disappointed.

I guess that the real question I need to ask, is how many shooters here in the United States shooting .45, or .50 caliber smoothbores have spent any significant amount of time shooting shot?

To me that seems to be the real challenge, shooting shot successfully. Like Britsmoothy does in the United Kingdom. Other than his posts, I can't recall a single post where someone discussed using shot in a very small smoothbore.

At one time I had an Italian Wesson style box lock with a .45 cal smooth bore barrel, I shot it a good bit with just brown paper wads and shot, never shot a ball from it, I managed to kill several squirrels with it while I had it, the action was cheap and I just didn’t like it so I let it go, I’ve often thought of getting another in .45 or .50 and ended up with a .54 smoothie with 42” barrel, I’d been just as happy with a smaller bore but the .54 just happened to fall in my hands.

I have a 50 smoothbore (.490 Cal to be exact), with a 30 inch barrel and it is one of my favorite guns. More accurate than I am, very versatile and easy on the powder and lead supply. Good caliber for small game with shot like squirrels to larger animals with ball like a hog.

Attachments

• received_478031196822690.jpeg
    received_478031196822690.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 87
I have a 50 smoothbore (.490 Cal to be exact), with a 30 inch barrel and it is one of my favorite guns. More accurate than I am, very versatile and easy on the powder and lead supply. Good caliber for small game with shot like squirrels to larger animals with ball like a hog.
Sweeeet little girl 😊.

I've a .52 smoothbore I've only shot a little so the jury is still out. However, I've a couple 28ga. I think I like much better.

I made a flintlock smooth bore in the long ago time , used a Belgian surplus Dixie Gun Works barrel, bought for the princely sum of $25. It was .52 caliber. It was a good squirrel and bird gun , but I was careful to keep the range close, no shots past 15 yards. It shot ball ok too.

I have had and used a 50 smooth bore. It shot ball and shot well at close ranges of 20-25 yards. Didn’t try farther than that. Have used 54 smooth with shot and ball. Shot out to 25 yds was good, 50 yds with ball was accurate. 50 barrel was short, I think it was 26 inches. 54 was longer barrel at 48 inches, both flint.

Thanks for your help.
Now, you just raised a question there. I have toyed with the idea of a 50 caliber smoothbore myself

I built a (LH) .50 smoothbore about 15 years ago. Gunsmith, Ron Luckenbill did the finish, carving, and engraving for me. I started with a Rice octagon/round barrel @ 44". It shoots a .480 patched ball. Since I don't have rifling I use swaged bullets, which I believe are more uniform and accurate. Won a turkey one year at the local Muzzleloading club. I tried shooting a paper target with shot a couple of times but don't have enough experience to comment on how well it performs.

I find it a lot of fun to shoot, as well as competitive at shorter range. Yes, I did cut that card with my .50.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Back