• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 caliber smoothbore for shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am contemplating getting a smoothbore for my Renegade to hunt squirrels with. Is this enough gun to consistently get the job done at reasonable ranges? (20yds+/-) If so, what loads are recommended for it? I have a 12 gauge percussion but I have never shot one of these barrels before so I figured that I would try and get some help before hand. I am not really interested in shooting balls out of it as I have plenty other options for that. Id hate to spend the money if it isn't going to do what I want it to do. Thanks

I used shot on the powder under cotton in a 45 and got lots of squirrels. Used 45 gn charge and about a 25 cent heap of shot.

Id hate to spend the money if it isn't going to do what I want it to do
So how do you feel about hunting squirrel with a modern .410 ? Your .50 in a smooth barrel is a tad larger so should be a bit better on small game, though modern .410 shotguns tend to be choked.
a .410 shotgun shell normally has ½ ounce of shot. So that gives you the following pellets in the following sizes when the shot is lead...
#4 68
#5 85
#6 113
So if you kept that weight of shot, you'd need to pattern your barrel to see what size shot flies with the best pattern, and thus give you the best chance at a harvest of the animal.

However, with the thickness of a .50 barrel, and the fact that in the past some hunters would launch two patched round balls in a "bear load"..., that barrel can probably take without any harm a heavier shot load. Two .490 round balls would equal about .80 ounces. So I'd say, you can go up to a ¾ ounce, without worries. So your pellet amounts would be close to a "light 20 gauge load", and in numbers would be...
#4 102
#5 128
#6 170

That's not too bad and launched with 50-60 grains of 2Fg, with a wad of tow and the shot in a paper "cartridge", should be good to 20-25 yards or so.

LD

T/C made barrels in 56 caliber smooth bore for a Pennsylvania smooth bore hunting season. You might be better served by finding a roached out 54 caliber barrel that can be opened up by Bobby Hoyt to a 56 caliber (28 gauge) smooth bore or one of those 56 caliber smoothbores. I'd look for something like that rather than smoothing out a 50 caliber or opening the 50 up to 54 or 56. The Renegade barrel is 1" across the flats and can certainly be bored out. Besides, the larger bore will make the final configuration lighter and better handling. Not to mention, you will be able to use more shot.

Shoot anything with my 45 with up to 3/4oz loads.
DSC09440.JPG
IMG_20181214_151419956.jpg
IMG_20170709_202456124.jpg

Good points to consider Grenadier and I probably would rather have the larger caliber but this one kind of presented itself at a good price so I think that I will go ahead and get it. I hoped that you would post Brit, I appreciate your pictures!

I won't post anymore blood and gore in this section but it shoots a ball as good as the average rifle to 50.
Shoots five.36 effectively.
Shoots two .445 effectively and bird shot as shown.
It also make for very good wing shooting actually as well believe it or not. The forward weight keeps it following through.

Brit's ... all these exellent photo's are shown with a 45 cal smooth bore ... correct?

Man ... if so, I have some thinkin to do. Thanks for the pictures

Brit's ... all these exellent photo's are shown with a 45 cal smooth bore ... correct?

Man ... if so, I have some thinkin to do. Thanks for the pictures
The photos in this thread yes.
There is a stack of game that little gun has brought home over the years and have only had it something like five years.

Back