• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CLOSED .50 caliber rifle wanted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Posting this ad to see whats available. Had a seller that had a T/C Penn Hunter and a T/C Renegade that he was trying to sell and he hasnt responded to my calls or texts in the past 2 months so I assume he doesnt want to sell or has sold them and doesnt want to tell me. Im looking for a .50 caliber flintlock rifle. Barrel length preferably 31"+, .50" cal, flintlock ignition, twist rate doesnt matter either as I will be using round balls only but if you have a nice conical rifle I wouldnt mind hearin your price. Fullstock or halfstock doesnt matter. Cherry stock is nice but anything will do. My price range will probably stop off at around $1,000 maximum with all fees. I dont really need one but have about 300 .490 round balls lying around and figured it would be nice to have a rifle to fire them (Got the lead balls out of a barn that I was helping repair and the owner said keep em). If anyone has a T/C Penn Hunter that would be cool too but any rifle will do. I will close this ad if my no response seller responds back to me (wish in one hand and #2 in the other and see what ya get first right....). Thanks to all who reply.

Posting this ad to see whats available. Had a seller that had a T/C Penn Hunter and a T/C Renegade that he was trying to sell and he hasnt responded to my calls or texts in the past 2 months so I assume he doesnt want to sell or has sold them and doesnt want to tell me. Im looking for a .50 caliber flintlock rifle. Barrel length preferably 31"+, .50" cal, flintlock ignition, twist rate doesnt matter either as I will be using round balls only but if you have a nice conical rifle I wouldnt mind hearin your price. Fullstock or halfstock doesnt matter. Cherry stock is nice but anything will do. My price range will probably stop off at around $1,000 maximum with all fees. I dont really need one but have about 300 .490 round balls lying around and figured it would be nice to have a rifle to fire them (Got the lead balls out of a barn that I was helping repair and the owner said keep em). If anyone has a T/C Penn Hunter that would be cool too but any rifle will do. I will close this ad if my no response seller responds back to me (wish in one hand and #2 in the other and see what ya get first right....). Thanks to all who reply.
I found one on GB for $795. Looks like a nice rifle, not mine. I have been looking for my first flinter for a few months now and can't decide if I want a factory rifle or a custom one.

Amoskeag's timed auction ( ends August 28) has loads of T/C muzzleloaders up for auction, including a .50 caliber Pa Hunter and a Hawken flintlock .... here are a couple of them, if interested
Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 10.21.43 AM.png

I have a Pedersoli flint Kentucky in very good condition, in 50 cal that I'll be selling. However, .490 balls are very tight in it. It's really a .490'ish caliber rifle. So, just be aware that a nominal 50 caliber rifle may not work with .490 balls. Every barrel is different. I stocked up on lead ingots and a got a Lee mold for .490 only to find out it just wouldn't work for it. Sometimes we get the cart before the horse!

Something to consider when shopping. In a .50 I like to use .480s and a thick patch. Rice barrels are the worst for too-deep grooves. You have to have enough patch to fill the groove without it making hard loading by piling up between the ball and the land.

Are the Lyman Great Plains Rifles better flintlocks than the Thompson Center Penn Hunters ?
Well, I think you will find the replies are all over the place on that one. They are both "modern" locks, cast etc, and some work fine out of the box and some are the devils spawn! There are replacements made for both by L&R and others, and many people on this forum seem to know how to tune them so they work just fine. I could not honesty say which one is better. Neither will ever be a custom Chambers or Kibler lock, but from what I have seen on this forum, they can be made to work quite well (reliably).

I would recommend you to save your money and buy a Kibler, either the kit or one already made, had 2 of them and you will get the best gun going for the money. I've been shooting these guns for years and you will get your monies worth with one of Kibler's guns. Good luck!

I'm not a huge fan of brass on guns, so that would be one of the reasons I would prefer the Great Plains rifle. BUT I do prefer American made over Italian. So 6 one way half a dozen the other. They are both good mass produced guns, especially for someone just getting started. But if cost is not a factor by all means go the custom built route.

Latest posts

Back