• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD .50 caliber percussion double rifle, probably CVA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
For the muzzleloading enthusiast who likes a challenge, here is a .50 percussion double that is surely like no other, from the custom walnut stock to the German-made Weatherby Variable 2-7 scope. The rifle is in nice shape, with soft matte rust-browned barrels and tuned triggers. There are a couple of rub marks on the barrels and a small scratch here or there, but that's about it. Rifle weighs just under 10 1/2 pounds. The scope and mount can be removed and replaced with a rear leaf sight to be fitted to the nicely shaped barrel rib -- probably a CVA sight if you can find one. Based on the engraving on the lock plates, I am pretty sure this started out as a CVA rifle. Anomalies include the blued left hammer -- the right is casehardened -- and the fact the stockmaker did not choose to inlet for a ramrod. Another anomaly is the right barrel, and here is where the challenge comes in. I only shot this rifle from 25 yards, using three loads, three shots each barrel: 60 grains Triple 7 FFFg, 70 grains Triple 7 FFFg and 80 grains Triple 7 FFFG, with a .010 pre-lubed linen patch and .490 Hornady round ball, lit by CCI No. 11 Magnum caps. The left barrel performed very well, putting three into one ragged hole with the 70-grain load, a bit high and left. The right barrel sort of liked this load, going a bit high and right, and sort of liked the 80-grain load, but did not like the 60 -- or I pulled the shot badly. I don't see a burr on the crown or any obvious reason why the right barrel wants to misbehave. That will be for the next owner to find out. Based on two shots each barrel right and left at 50, these barrels will likely not converge -- as would a properly regulated and much more expensive double. That said, this would make a heck of a rifle for hunting from a blind or tree stand. Asking $475 shipped, and not looking for trades, thanks. That vintage Weatherby scope -- standard crosshairs -- has some value by itself. Ask if questions, and I probably can't answer them but will try.

fullsizeoutput_1224 by ComeWatson, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_160a by ComeWatson, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_1607 by ComeWatson, on Flickr

Last edited:
To make clearer, this was the result shooting at 25 yards with 70 grains of T7. You can see the left barrel is a tack-driver with this load -- a bit high and left --while the right barrel is just thinking about it. I settled the crosshairs on the 8 for all six shots. The right might want a .495 ball, or a thicker patch, a little more T7 or maybe some Swiss or Old Eynesford. Even with the better-regulated Pedersoli doubles at twice the price or more, you often have to work up a different load for each barrel.
fullsizeoutput_160d by ComeWatson, on Flickr

Maybe they would converge a bit closer at a longer distance?
Or have you already explored that?

Joe, no, haven't explored anything but those three sets of three shots per barrel at 25 yards -- and two at 50. Just wanted to see if the barrels are capable. These doubles usually respond well to load workups. It is not hard to work with known barrel impact points once you find them, but you often end up with two distinct aiming points. To get convergence, look at the Holland and Holland or Verney Caron catalogs. 😉
With three back surgeries, I am just too old to hump this rifle in our elk woods at 9,000 feet.

Appreciate your honesty about the barrels not being indexed. I owned one of these CVA doubles years ago. It had a set of 12 gauge cylinder bore choked barrels and I took quite a few woodcock with it. It also had the set of double .50 cal barrels. I found, as you did, that I could get one barrel to shoot well to center target at 25 yds when the other barrel would group 4" to the left and down. Once I figured that out the .50 barrels were never used. Sold it as a double 12 shotgun and threw in the .50 barrels explaining the problem.

Seal, I had a CVA 12-bore myself, many, many years ago. Worked fine as a shotgun. As far as the rifled barrels, one truly must consider that he has two rifles conjoined at the rib, then it all makes sense and works fine.

I can't tell from his pictures, but the one I have lacks a rib for; the barrels are held by a "figure 8" band. There are three set screws bearing on the right barrel, to tweak it into register w/ the left.
As I understand, they didn't use this feature on all of the doubles.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back