• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 Calber for Elk?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see this brought up a lot. Can a 50 take elk?
The topic bounces from PRB to conical. Distance is talked about. Comparing PRB to archery always comes up.
Guys that have never seen an elk adding their .02
I have killed 23 head of elk. I have unofficially guided to twice that number. I have busted down a few with muzzleloaders. And I have seen many killed with muzzleloaders by friends and family.
Yes a 50 can kill elk. That statement covers a lot of real-estate. Yes a 50 PRB will kill elk. Yes the 50 with a conical will kill elk.
I prefer my homemade bullets. I honestly don't trust most store bought conicals. I also don't trust PRB's. That's just me and based on my experience on game.
The real issue here isn't the 50 cal. The issue is can the hunter keep it together to actually shoot well enough to get the job done.
Experienced hunters have a tendency to fall apart with a bull in front of them. Many people I take hunting need to be calmed down. I refer to it as talking them off the ledge.
Even guys shooting cows get so amped up that they can hardly maintain control.
I ask guys right after the shot, where did you hit? Most have no idea where the bullet hit. Most day I was right behind the shoulder. An elks kill zone is large but most never hit where they said they aimed.
If a PRB hits a shoulder the odds of recovering that animal has been reduced. The farther the range the odds drop.
If a crappy conical like a power belt or a Hornady hollow point is used the odds are not much better.
I shoot for shoulders with my bullets at times. I know what to expect when I do. I do not recommend a shoulder shot because how tough that shoulder is.
There is way more to killing elk besides the cal.
Nice rump scratcher. Wow!

@Idaho Ron
Even guys shooting cows get so amped up that they can hardly maintain control.
I ask guys right after the shot, where did you hit? Most have no idea where the bullet hit.

I think that would be very typical of a shot at PRB range, give smoke and recoil. I know it is for me. However, I usually can call the hit within a few inches.

IDAHO RON, might not be bragging--he might well be 100% on the target.
In any case, communication involves different levels of experience. In Idaho,
Elk are a constant fact of daily existence--much like WT deer in the rest of USA.
I love hearing the exploits of men-- and generally trust them. No one wants
to shout about the times they got "skunked" and went home empty handed.
As for the 50 cal question, yes the "nifty fifty" will take Big Game- depending
mostly upon who is firing it.

A .50 will work but i've always used a .54.

220gr seemed light enough to me. Colorado agrees.

A .50 will work but i've always used a .54.

220gr seemed light enough to me. Colorado agrees.

The only reason Colorado changed their laws is because the law states .50 cal. A .50 RB is either .490 or .495 and does not meet the caliber criteria. It's a technicality, not a question of lethality.

Also, to hunt elk the weight of the projectile must be 170 gr. A .490 RB is 174gr +/-, so it meets that criteria.

It's just the diameter of the RB that stopped us from using them.

Feel free to call our CPW and ask.

The only reason Colorado changed their laws is because the law states .50 cal. A .50 RB is either .490 or .495 and does not meet the caliber criteria. It's a technicality, not a question of lethality.

Also, to hunt elk the weight of the projectile must be 170 gr. A .490 RB is 174gr +/-, so it meets that criteria.

It's just the diameter of the RB that stopped us from using them.

Feel free to call our CPW and ask.

I have and that's not the reason they gave me. They told me the reason they increased the size was too many .50 balls were found in elk after being shot with a CF gun. Not every muzzleloader hunter is responsible and only take humane shots.

It could be a combination of what they told both of us. Is there any other state that doesn't allow a .50 PRB for elk?

What's even more pathetic is they don't allow a .45 PRB for deer.

IMHO, every state should have a "primative" season. And that season should be twice as long as any other firearms season. No in-lines, no optics, nothing except traditional percussion or flint lock.

Sure, some of the above mentioned classify as a ml, but once you slap all kinds of gadgets on them like optics and such, they can damn near perform like a cartridge rifle. Keep them in rifle season.

I've taken a lot of game with muzzle loaders, but last year I had one that really flustered me with my .50 and a prb. It was a nice buck that came out in front of me within about 25 yards and had no idea I was there. I took my time and shot him in the normal area I use....no way I could have missed. He turned around and ran back into the woods where he had come from, and after 2 hrs.. of searching I never found him. I've never had problems like this before.....but it can happen. Never even found a drop of blood !

@Stony Broke I’ve had the same experience. Last year while on a weekend management hunt I took five whitetail In two days with my TC Hawken .50 using PRB. This year at the same ranch I took one, the next day I shot a spike in what I thought was my normal spot. The short summary is I did not locate him, first time this has happened in 40 years of hunting with my .50. Upon a LOT of reflection I believe I flat out aimed poorly and did not hit vitals.

Since that hunt I’ve spent many hours reacquainting myself with a deers anatomy along with several sessions at the range. My point to all of this is… a .50 used correctly will kill most North American big game, if used incorrectly no gun will suffice.

I did the same thing at about 30yds last year on opening day of ML season, I hunt with a TC Hawken .50. I had a decent buck come up on my right and I was able to stand, turn and shoulder up because he was grazing along. I aimed center mass right behind the front leg and squeezed off...smoke everywhere and he just stood there looking at me for a second or two and then bolted, did not look hit at all, ran off like when they spot you and you move a little. I have missed before but it was under thread the needle type circumstances and that one bugged me all year long. I have been back to the spot multiple times and replayed the whole thing. The only thing I can figure is that I either shot low or the ball was deflected by a branch that I did not readily see (it was a tad thick in there, not extreme though). Sorry guys, I got typing happy, I know this is about 50 cal and Elk, not Whitetail just had to share the sorrow

Back