• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

50 cal TC 1:48 twist reasonable accuracy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kopelli

32 Cal
Reaction score
Wading in deep here. Trying to work up the most (reasonably) accurate Round Ball load with my TC 50 1:48 twist. Has Peep sight (old eyes). Using Tripple seven FF. .490 Round Ball Patched with .170 ticking and Bore butter. Best accuracy I am getting at 50 yds is barely inside of 2" . Not sure I can reasonably expect much better.

I've shot10 grains more and less but groups open. I've shot .495 with same patch and ball combos and groups are worse.

Thinking about trying tripple seven fff if I can get some.

What is your load and what accuracy are you getting?

You didn't say how much powder you are shooting, from reading past threads on a TC .50 and having one myself it seems like 65-75 gr gives folk the best groups. My groups are similar to yours, the best I can do with 75-year-old eyes, my rifle likes a .490 ball, .018 patch and 75 gr of 2F black powder, I can't get a .495 ball down the tight bore.

The last T/C .50 caliber barrel I had shot 1" groups (off the bench) at 50 yards using 55 grains of Pyrodex P with a .490 ball, .015 mink oil lubed patch.

I'm pretty satisfied with how my 1:48 Hawken groups at 50yds using 80gr 2F Scheutzen pushing a 320gr TC Maxi-Ball. I know youre asking about PRB, but figured I might share.

Factory sights, shooting from a bench using sandbags for a rest. I think the rifle itself is capable of better and the human element is the biggest limitation.

First shot landed way low and a bit right. Adjusted sights and went too far as can be seen by where the second shot landed. After the second sight adjustment, shots 3, 4, 5, and 6 grouped in nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_20220911_121631851_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220911_121631851_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
You didn't say how much powder you are shooting, from reading past threads on a TC .50 and having one myself it seems like 65-75 gr gives folk the best groups. My groups are similar to yours, the best I can do with 75-year-old eyes, my rifle likes a .490 ball, .018 patch and 75 gr of 2F black powder, I can't get a .495 ball down the tight bore.
Best accuracy I've been able to get is 2" with 70 gr. at 50 yards. I will probably try 5 grain increments to see if that makes any difference.

Already I can see I need to do some more testing.
What do your shot patches look like? They can tell you how the gun is shooting.
Changing lube or patch material might help.
Patches are not burned or shredded. Gasses do not seem to be getting by the patch as no shredded edges. Not sure what else to lookk for.

Thanks for replies---makes me think. I'll do some more testing with Tripple Seven FF, in 5 grain increments (probably 65 to 85 grains) and, I found some Tripple Seven fffg, so will try that also. My old shoulder doesn't like the recoil so probably won't try the conical even though I think they would probably be a better hunting load. Looking to get better accuracy out of the RB.

I'd like to get 2.5 inches in 100 yds off the bench, but first need to get a lot better at 50 yards! Thanks again.

First that is not bad accuracy. Certainly good enough for hunting medium and big game. In my limited experience a TC renegade can shoot slightly better than that but you may have to play with your patching and lube. Also are we talking about using a solid rest here? I cannot shoot that good unless I am using a bench and a good rest?

First that is not bad accuracy. Certainly good enough for hunting medium and big game. In my limited experience a TC renegade can shoot slightly better than that but you may have to play with your patching and lube. Also are we talking about using a solid rest here? I cannot shoot that good unless I am using a bench and a good rest?
Yes. Bench rest.

Try a spit patch, it doesn't have to be saturated, just damp.
It will change the feel of the bore and loading. but bore condition is a huge player in shot to shot accuracy.
I recommend the system by our past member Dutch Schoultz;
https://blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/
I glance quickly at the Dutch Schoultz site and like it very much....Will most likely get the book.

The best groups I ever shot at 50 yds were with a .490 patched (pre-lubed pillow ticking) round ball, and 55 -60 gr. of Goex ffg. When my eyes were better, 2 out of 3 would touch and the other close by. American Pioneer in ffg did almost as good. I couldn't get Pyrodex to shoot consistently in my T-C Hawken, but my in-lines like it.

I glance quickly at the Dutch Schoultz site and like it very much....Will most likely get the book.
Dutch passed away several months ago so you'll have to see if a member here has a copy.

Having conversed with Dutch on several occasions over the years I can tell you that he knew his stuff and was a wealth of information and experience.

Having said that, my experience with T-7 is limited and my best suggestion is to get some 3f real black powder if possible. If that's just not going to happen then keep in mind that T-7 burns hotter that traditional black and generates more power so in order to have an equivalent load you have to back off between 10 and 15%. Using 2f, a 50 grain charge of black powder equals 45 grains of T-7. With 3f you'll need to reduce by 15%. You could try working up another load starting at 45 grains of 2f Triple 7, increasing by 5 grains after each series of shots. As for patch lube, I too didn't have good results using bore butter and found that a mixture of beeswax and olive oil worked great. You might also try a dry lube using Ballistol and water. I hope this helps but for the record, I sight in at 80 yards because of my older eyes and iron sites.

Back