• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.50 cal Plains Pistol loads?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regulis7

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Been looking at one of the Plains pistols in .50 cal and wanted some opinions on them.

And what would be a good moderate load to comfortably shoot?

Other than makin some noise and smoke are they fun to shoot? And do these pistols have any practical uses?

Regulis7

Had one. Mine was very accurate. I loaded 35 to 40 gr. fffg .495 ball .015 patch. Trigger will probably be heavy as most are in out of the box guns, but can be tuned up. I had no complaints and was very pleased with it.

Had one. Mine was very accurate. I loaded 35 to 40 gr. fffg .495 ball .015 patch. Trigger will probably be heavy as most are in out of the box guns, but can be tuned up. I had no complaints and was very pleased with it.

Are you talking about the Lyman Plains pistol or the CVA Plains pistol?

Back