• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 cal loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf172

40 Cal
Reaction score
I know every MLer is different and that you need to test loads but IF you're using triple7 fff in your 50 cal can you PM me with your best target and hunting loads with round ball?

Same powder load in grains as units of caliber is always a good place to start. 50-70'ish grains in a .50 RB rifle is very common. Twist, patch, lube, all play into the "what's best for my rifle" equation. It also depends on what you're doing with it. For just range/plinking, use no more than necessary for best grouping to save powder and recoil on you. I like 60 gr. of FFg GOEX in my Pedersoli Kentucky flinter.

Don't like MP on a forum...
Fifty grains in volume, .495 bullet (RB), .010 patch and lubricant neatsfoot oil...
Stand-up shooting at 50m (~50yds) without support, 13 bullets each :
50gns_50yds.png

Hawken_50cal_50m.png

Last edited:
60 grains (volume) with a patched round ball. Good for targets and hunting. I have gone as high as 75 grains for hunting, but never noticed a difference on deer sized critters. I shoot a lot over chronographs, you reach a point of diminishing returns real quick with heavy loads.

Back