• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 cal light loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapPopper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What would be the reasonable minimum load I could shoot with a 50 cal prb mainly for rabbits and squirrels really close

You can go with a light load if you are thumpin them in the head. I would not go less than 25 grains, (IMO) but really would encourage you to do a penetration test at the yardage you have in mind. You also want to keep in mind accuracy, and what will be your point of aim when you start getting lighter on a charge.
Flintlocklar
:wink:

CapPopper said:
What would be the reasonable minimum load I could shoot with a 50 cal prb mainly for rabbits and squirrels really close

Whatever gets the ball out of the barrel. Only way to find what is good for you is to try. It has been said that back in the day real mountain men used only a half charge for most shooting. That saved powder. If needed when going to war or hunting buff or grizz they would up it to full. Also, said (offhand I don't have proof) their powder measures were only half charges. Meaning a full was two dumps. Makes sense to me. Do some shooting and share with us what you learn.

A word of caution....Round balls will ricochet off frozen ground and trees like crazy at low velocity.
They also can ricochet straight back.
Chose your target carefully.

Well im wanting close to 1000 at the muzzle my gun is sighted in for a 360 minie ball so im really hoping the slow balls go way higher than they would at full power my gun doesn't shoot balls good even as low as 70grs so im hoping slower will help cause 100 grains was no better than 70... Just want to know how low I can go in pursuit of reasonable small game accuracy its entirely possible ill scrap the idea if it just won't shoot round balls

You are looking more at feet than yards if you are hunting bunnies and squirrels. A light load in the 20-30 grain range should be adequate out to 30 yards or so. I've hunted rabbits with a 44 caliber cap and ball revolver and that would be the load range I used. Granted a 50 has a heavier ball, but you also have the longer barrel which should give more velocity. I would see if a load in that range would hold a decent group at 25 yards and call it good. You probably won't be shooting squirrels or bunnies at 50 yards very often.

Yeah 25-30 max and ill probably carry carry a single shot pistol as well in 223 or 22 hornet for anything farther I may want to shoot also for yotes and other vermin but I want to use the muzzleloader more and figured that would be a great way to do so... At least till I get my other barrel opened to 28 gauge when I got time to get to the lathe

Either should be fine. I often use 2f in my 50, but have used 3f too. Many here use 3f for pretty much all of their rifles.

If you have both, just try both and see which your rifle likes best.

Back