• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.50 Cal Hawken Barrel Options?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rami

32 Cal.
Reaction score
After recently getting a new .54 Ly Deerstalker, I'm considering options on what to do with my old Hawken. The Deerstalker shoots well and I honestly don't see the .50Hawken getting used much in the future. at least in it's present form. So, I'm asking opinions on 1) the best value and place to get a new drop in barrel. 2) Any other barrel options. 3) I may sell it as I hate having guns sit, not being used.

explain to me please why would someone want that and where could I get?

there's two options right here on the forum in the classifieds for pretty reasonable prices. one is a pretty rare factory T/C 45cal roundball twist barrel, the other is the desirable Green Mountain drop-in in 50cal also with the roundball twist.

I would send it to Bobby Hoyt to have it bored to .54 caliber; he likes 1/56 twist for .54's. I do think that 1/56 twist may be just the ticket for a 28" .54 barrel. Cost probably $100.00 plus shipping. He could make a smoothie barrel as well of course. Look around for the Green Mountain drop-in barrels; not made anymore but I am sure if you look hard enough you could find one. I don't think they made any .54's in flint though.

I always liked the way my TC Hawken shot ball; it did better than the Deerstalker does with 90 grains. It was the first flintlock I ever owned back in 1973 I traded it for the PA Hunter rifle with a 1/66 twist. That old Hawken did as well or better but it was a bit heavier. I wish I still had it.

Rami said:
After recently getting a new .54 Ly Deerstalker, I'm considering options on what to do with my old Hawken. The Deerstalker shoots well and I honestly don't see the .50Hawken getting used much in the future. at least in it's present form. So, I'm asking opinions on 1) the best value and place to get a new drop in barrel. 2) Any other barrel options. 3) I may sell it as I hate having guns sit, not being used.

If it's a TC it will clean up to make a .52 to shoot off the shelf molds.

I'm curious how effective a 28" smoothie would be for small game an how big bore on a 15/16 barrel

35-28 gauge.....very effective...better than a .410 shotgun IMO.....

Load it with a single round ball and you have a very effective 50 yard deer gun.

Thanks for the advise. A smooth bore is not to my liking, wouldn't go there.

Bored to 54 might be an option. I didn't realize it was that inexpensive to have that done.

Walks with fire said:
Look around for the Green Mountain drop-in barrels; not made anymore but I am sure if you look hard enough you could find one. I don't think they made any .54's in flint though.

Oh, they made them alright! I have one, but mine is modified to fit on my flint GPR.

A .54 smooth bore is excellent for small game and birds (to include turkey), but mine is mostly used to go after hogs and the occasional deer.

Yes, look for a used barrel or have your current one bored out.

The Gun Works still makes drop in's and so does one other place that slips my mind at the moment but you are looking at $350 without bluing, without sights etc.

Probably more money then most want to spend unless the rifle has some serious sentimental value...

No real sentimental value. I mean it's nice, I won't be dumping $350 in it though. The only real option I see is rebore to .54, but as I stated I just bought a new .54 so even that's hard to justify.
I'll be needing new tires for my truck soon...it may be on the chopping block.

Sell it unless you are looking for a project that will cost money and probably end up sitting in the closet when you are finished.

Yep that's what I'm afraid of. As if I don't have enough other fun projects to keep me busy and drain my wallet.

Hey Rami, your TC Hawken is a 50 cal, 15/16ths barrel. They made it in 54 cal also but it would have been 1" across the flats, like a Renegade. I think their reasoning was to keep a little more meat between the powder and you. Keep your eye's open, somewhere out there is a 45 or even a 32 cal drop in barrel for it. I came across a GM 32 cal, 1" for a Renegade, a real bull barrel in 1". I call it the truck axle. That wouldn't so bad in 15/16ths. Hang on to it for a while, the minute you get rid of it, something pops up. Happens to me all the time. Take care my friend, Tommy.

Yep, hang on to it!

Guns, gun parts, classic cars and classic car parts are assets only to be sold to cover cost of a project/new purchase. If sold w/o a purpose the $ will disappear. Ask me how I know!
TC

Back