• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

50 cal Hawhins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try a .490 ball and .015 patch to start, 50-80 grains 3f. We don't talk the s word here.

AFAIK

If that Pedersoli is the Missouri River Hawken (model), the barrel should have a 1-24" rifling twist - unsuitable for PRB's due to accuracy issues, and maybe also for conicals.

If it's a Traditional Hawken (model), the barrel should have a compromise 1-48" rifling twist that will give acceptable (but not optimal) accuracy with both PRB's and conicals.

My Pedersoli Traditional Hawken uses .495 ball , Ticking patch lightly lubed with olive oil, 80gr FF. A reasonably tight load.

Slow twist rates tend to stabilize round balls well; fast twist rates tend to stabilize conical bullets more effectively.

Some muzzleloading firearms have middle-of-the-road twist rates that will shoot either type of bullet fairly well.

A slow twist rate would be something like 1-60"

A fast twist rate would be something like 1-28"

A 1-48" twist rate would, ergo, by definition be a middle-of-the-road twist rate.

The Hawken Hunter rifle .54 caliber has the fast twist 1:24", therefore it performs very well with .540 maxi bullet, like those produced by Pedersoli bullet mold USA308-540, 420 grains, loading between 80 to 100 grains of Swiss black powder no2 (3Fg).
My BIG mistake! It’s 54 Cal with a 1-24” twist. Very sorry for the mistake.

Track of the Wolf has a Missouri River for sale. 50 caliber fast twist 1/24 inch. It’s my old rifle. I even shot paper patch conical. Very versatile.

I purchased a Pedersoli "American Jager" a while back. This rifle comes in .54 with a 1:25 rate of twist, and I could not hit the side of a barn with it using patched round ball, even from inside the stinking barn. I was about the sell the stupid thing for what ever I could get out of it when someone on here suggested I have, forgive me if I have his name wrong, Bobby Hoyt bore it out and redo the rifling. I contact the gentleman and he told me to ship him the gun and he would take a look at it. He was able bore it out to .58 caliber and rifle with slow twist rifling. Absolutely beautiful job, and it shoot great now, although I've had some issues with ignition consistency, but that's another story.

Back