• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.50 cal.for bear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't hesitate to use a .50 with PRB on a black bear...especially at those distances from a rest at a calm bear that you can wait and pick your exact shot.

Yep, sure does. Finding a good rest always helps, and the bear caught unawares to an accurate heart lung shot drops like a rock. Oh there are always the few exceptions: the one who turned and ran the wrong way a few yards and fell off a cliff into the river a few hundred feet below. Or the one I caught sunbathing on a hilltop who crumpled like a rag doll when I shot him in the chest and rolled head over heels down the slope like a giant black cannon ball just missing me by a few yards as he crashed by. But most of the rest dropped like they decided it was time for a Sunday nap.

The .490 round ball has do the job perfectly on every big game animal I've shot so far. Now due to rule change, I have to use a conical in my 50cal for elk, so I went to the 250gr REAL bullets as I cast them super cheap and they are just as accurate as my round ball.

I saw a fellow on TV kill a black bear with one of the little blowgun darts from about 20ft. The bear didn't go 25yds. It was hit in the heart and didn't know it was dead. Just jumped a little then walked away and died. No reason a .50cal. wouldn't do the same or much better.

Go to youtube. There are three large animals killed with blowguns. Tim Wells is the one I saw on his show. He showed the dart and how he made it.

The .490 round ball has do the job perfectly on every big game animal I've shot so far. Now due to rule change, I have to use a conical in my 50cal for elk, so I went to the 250gr REAL bullets as I cast them super cheap and they are just as accurate as my round ball.

What will your elk load be?

Took my bear at about 20 yards with my 20 ga. (.60) round ball with 75 gr. 3f. Bear went about 50 yards and piled up.
I been using 2f in my .50, that's what I was taught as a teen, will 3f be a better choice in MY percussion cap rifle?

I been using 2f in my .50, that's what I was taught as a teen, will 3f be a better choice in MY percussion cap rifle?
Try it. 3fg in my rifles, offers excellent accuracy.

Attachments

• 20220815_143727.jpg
    20220815_143727.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Back