• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4FA SCHUETZEN POWDER

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazybear

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, does anyone know if you can use 4fa powder in a flash pan? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My understanding is that 4fA is used for reenactment and cannons,but I was hoping that it would be good enough for my flash pan in my 45 flintlock.

@Brokennock, I do not know the size difference, I was hoping to get some of the experts on here to help out. I think it might be a combination of sizes. I was wondering if it is fast enough for flash pan powder.

@Brokennock, I do not know the size difference, I was hoping to get some of the experts on here to help out. I think it might be a combination of sizes. I was wondering if it is fast enough for flash pan powder.
Fast enough?
This gets covered, if not constantly, at least as frequently as stuck balls and Dawn dish soap.
1f, 2f, and 3f, all work in the pan, one does not "need" 4f, to be "fast enough."
One might have to adjust how much powder one uses in the pan with other sizes, (one of my guns is noticeably slower if I use too much 3f) but they all work..... As long as it is real black powder.

This is from Mainepowderhouse web sight:
FA is typically known as a fireworks grade black powder. It is an uncoated black powder with grain sizes accordingly:
  • 2FA: 4.75-1.7 mm
  • 4FA: 1.7-.85 mm
  • 5FA: .88-.3 mm
This is from Schuetzen web site. These are the sporting grade powders we normally use:
1Fg
2Fg
3Fg
Reenactor
1.2-1.6 mm
0.65-1.2 mm
0.5-0.8 mm
1.2- 0.5 mm
Cannons, shotguns, and muskets
.45 caliber rifles and greater
.45 caliber rifles and smaller, pistols
Blank firing (historical reenactments)
I would guess that you could use 4fa to prime but you would be better off using 2fg or 3fg

big difference between 4f and 4fa.

5Fa is about like 3Fg, 4Fa is much bigger as listed. Being not glazed it does tend to ignite faster than glazed powder and should work fine as priming powder if it is all you have. Maybe grind it up a bit first?

This is from Mainepowderhouse web sight:
FA is typically known as a fireworks grade black powder. It is an uncoated black powder with grain sizes accordingly:
  • 2FA: 4.75-1.7 mm
  • 4FA: 1.7-.85 mm
  • 5FA: .88-.3 mm
This is from Schuetzen web site. These are the sporting grade powders we normally use:
1Fg
2Fg
3Fg
Reenactor
1.2-1.6 mm
0.65-1.2 mm
0.5-0.8 mm
1.2- 0.5 mm
Cannons, shotguns, and muskets
.45 caliber rifles and greater
.45 caliber rifles and smaller, pistols
Blank firing (historical reenactments)
I would guess that you could use 4fa to prime but you would be better off using 2fg or 3fg

big difference between 4f and 4fa.
The nFA series is used to designate blasting powder and comes from when they used to use BP for mining operations. It was packed into a borehole and confined with a tamped plug to fracture a rock face.

Hello, does anyone know if you can use 4fa powder in a flash pan? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
4FA is not a priming powder(grain size is 0.85-1.7mm). That being said, some ppl use 3Fg (grain size 0.30-0.85mm) in the pan as a priming powder. I personally use 4Fg (grain size 0.15-0.425 mm) in the pan. Swiss also makes a 0B or Null B powder that is < 0.15mm in grain size that is super fast on ignition. If you can get it to ignite, then use it. But personally it would be better for you to use a true Fg type priming powder.

Back