• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4f Powder In A Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I got a couple of pounds of 4fg powder the other day.
Was thinking of trying it in a .36 Uberti Pocket Navy I’ve had a few years, wanting to get the velocity up some. It does not have the chamber capacity of a full-sized Navy, and seems a little anemic.
I am aware that in the old days many owners of the Percussion revolvers thought nothing of using 4f in their guns,
Sure, the pressures will be a little higher, but would that be a problem?

I would say NO. I have used it and others here have as well (some in rifles (OH-MY). Naysayers have at it, lets remind him of the carnage and legal issues now.

I got a couple of pounds of 4fg powder the other day.
Was thinking of trying it in a .36 Uberti Pocket Navy I’ve had a few years, wanting to get the velocity up some. It does not have the chamber capacity of a full-sized Navy, and seems a little anemic.
I am aware that in the old days many owners of the Percussion revolvers thought nothing of using 4f in their guns,
Sure, the pressures will be a little higher, but would that be a problem?
First edition (1975 copyright) of the Lyman Blackpowder Handbook listed 4F loads based on actual testing. Personally shot for years without concerns or issues before internet decided it was a problem. According to some 4F loads will cause the Earth to fall off it’s axis or worse. Another group will claim you’ll fall off the edge of the Earth if you use it. Basically a don’t ask don’t tell topic here.

Last edited:
Original pistol grade powder in the old days was very fine. Around 4 f size. I shoot it in revolvers and pistols, but don’t load too heavy. This is what I do. Not telling YOU to do it.

Original pistol grade powder in the old days was very fine. Around 4 f size. I shoot it in revolvers and pistols, but don’t load too heavy. This is what I do. Not telling YOU to do it.
which is more economical, nice! tks for the tip

European target shooters have been successfully using 4F in match revolvers for years. See CapandBall videos on YouTube.

ADK Bigfoot

Pardner if you want more power get a suppository gun. I have seen Mike Beliveau use FFFFg in a 31 caliber but for anything over that FFFg is the way to go safely.
The operative word is safely because black Gunpowder is an EXPLOSIVE not a flammable solid and that sounds like a way to very quickly disassemble the gun at arms length.
Or buy your wife a nice black dress and keep on going.
Stay safe
Bunk

To be fair blackpowder is far more "forgiving" in this scenario than any smokeless powder, which after all is merely classified as a PROPELLANT.

Swiss powder, in the equivalent of what we call 4F on this side of the pond is made for pistols. It isn't "unsafe" per se. It's OK to have your own opinion, but it's not OK to have your own set of facts.

Fill it up. It'll be fine.
Dont just use 10gn 🤦‍♂️the ball will come back and blind you!

Will load it up with full loads of 4f at the first opportunity and try it out.

We have been plagued with crappy cold, dampness, rain, and wind on the days I have time to shoot for several weeks lately, so I have gotten behind on my bp shooting. Has not affected suppository shooting since I stopped that for other reasons indefinitely almost a year ago.
May have to take a trip to England for a few days for some better weather.😁

Last edited:
Will load it up with full loads of 4f at the first opportunity and try it out.

We have been plagued with crappy cold, dampness, rain, and wind on the days I have time to shoot for several weeks lately, so I have gotten behind on my bp shooting. Has not affected suppository shooting since I stopped that for other reasons indefinitely almost a year ago.
May have to take a trip to England for a few days for some better weather.😁
well it is your gun and your hand but have your affairs in order and 911 on the speed dial.
Just because you CAN do it does not mean it is a GOOD IDEA to do it.
"Hold my beer Bubba and watch this" famous last words.
Best regards
Bunk

Only trouble with 4F Goex, is that it isn't graded like the Swiss fine powder, so (in theory) you can get differing velocity with the same charge.
This isn't really important at revolver ranges.
My old Tranter (54 bore or about .44 cal) can take 40 grains, but I shoot less most of the time. I use 3F as plenty of power already.

Personally in my .44 caliber Pietta cap guns I use 15 grains FFFg or FFg depending on what gets grabbed out of the powder locker along with a Bottom Dealing Mike hand made lube wad and a .451" ball.
Now before anyone starts on me about the size ball there have been about 1000 shots in different .44 caliber guns with that load and no DREADED CHAIN FIRE. Slixshot cones and Remington #10 percussion caps.
Caveat...your mileage may vary. This works for ME but I cannot speak for YOU.
Load 'em heavy boys
they air a'comin' for us
No fooling
Bunk

North American Arms recommends 4f in their mini revolver. It is all about burn rate and barrel length.
In a rifle 2f will give you a steady long burn down the bore. As said above, the early Black powder
manuals charted 4f in pistols. However, long experience with men who are respected has given us
the present 3f recommendations for pistol powder. Safety comes first. Therefore, even if I can do it
I do not use 4f. Black powder is an awesome force when ignited. A strong charge of 3f in my 1858
will put a ball through a 55 gallon steel drum. We all love power tripping and hot rodding, but
really, how much power can we safely use? Leave the 4f for the flinters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back