• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

4F in the barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
popcorn anyone?
R.jpg

1. Correct
2. Not sure. I'd just look for the lowest possible load volume that gives me the accuracy I want.
3. Scientifically? Need fancy equipment.
I've heard that with caplocks the hammer will blow back before barrel damaging pressure is reached,,,, but, I have strong doubts about this.
4. Only advantage I could see is availability. And, that possibly, like when switching from 2f to 3f, you can probably get the same results as the next larger powder with less powder. Also I've noticed less fouling with 3f compared to 2f, so maybe 4f would be even less?

One potential downside (other than the "O.M.G. you'll blow yourself up crowd) is that 4f isn't coated and could potential be fouled by humidity easier.
Didn't Sam Fadala do some research and found barrels bulging with overloads that did not rupture.

I use patent breeches all the time in CVA, Traditions, andT/C and 3f powder, I don't do anything special like hitting the breech to settle the powder and don't have any problems. 4f is a finer grade powder, how is it going to bridge?
I believe that he is talking about the 4f not having enough volume to fill the patent breech leaving an air gap between powder and ball. But if that was a real problem then we could never shot a reduced load in our patent breech guns and most all of us have done that and we are still alive.

Back