• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4f for .44 cal revolvers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wondered if someone was going to point out that issue. Safe, OK. But not accurate at much more than across a poker table range.
You are correct, only a matter of time before an expert that cries about the dangers of 4F and would not use it themselves for a main charge complains about it not being accurate…..

Just not my experience. Have tried and used 4F in a number of revolvers, including original and replica Remingtons, along with replica Colts, and accuracy was comparable to 3F sporting powder. Plus it shot as clean as or cleaner than courser granulations.

I made the initial comment about ffffg not giving accurate results for me and said not one word decrying the safety of same. Accuracy is relative though I suppose....

The original powder used in revolver cartridges and some pistol cartridges for the .54 smoothbores was observed as being equivalent to 4f , when original cartridges were opened, i.e. "Powder, Fine Pistol" probably because it burned cleaner and didn't foul up the gun as bad.

I've done the opposite, I've fired 1F through .44 revolvers and it did OK. I agree that "accuracy" has become one of my personal pet peeves because trying to explain what my standard of "accuracy" is vs someone else's is like trying to explain what the color orange sounds like. I accept "period combat accuracy", that is why I shoot these weapons. Someone may feel because I can't put them through the same hole at 50 yards they aren't "accurate".

I've also had people get snotty when I say I try to stay as close to the period "service loads" as I can and one dude is like "were you there ? How do you know what a period service load is?"

Using 4f in revolvers is probably closer to what was originally used. Or something in between like a 3.5f

Latest posts

Back