• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

4F Black Powder Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
For some reason it seems that I have 3 pounds of 4F powder that I have accumulated over the years. I have a ,45 caliber flintlock which I always use 3F for my main charge. I'm aware that 4F is indicated for a priming powder.
It will take me forever to go through 3 lbs of 4F if I use it only for priming.
Can 4F be used as a main charge powder? I have a digital scale and I was going to weigh out 70 grains of 3F and 4F to see what the volume difference would be. Thoughts?

Don't use 70 grains of 4F in anything, you can use some light loads in the range of 15 grains, possibly 20 grains as a main charge but that's about it.

I have a digital scale and I was going to weigh out 70 grains of 3F and 4F to see what the volume difference would be. Thoughts?

Weight and volume are irrelevant in this case, it's the size of the granules that matters. Size affects the rate of burn and thus the pressure developed.

Years ago, before the internet, and with no one to tell me better, i was given a full pound of ffffg. I figured powder was powder and used it in my 45 cal cva Kentucky rifle. IIRC my standard load was 60grs. The gun, and i, survived without a hitch. I do recall it seemed to foul less, i was able to load more prb's before needing swabbing.
Today I would load it down 20% or so compared to fffg. I have no scientific data, but I do have some real life experience to base it on.

For some reason it seems that I have 3 pounds of 4F powder that I have accumulated over the years. I have a ,45 caliber flintlock which I always use 3F for my main charge. I'm aware that 4F is indicated for a priming powder.
It will take me forever to go through 3 lbs of 4F if I use it only for priming.
Can 4F be used as a main charge powder? I have a digital scale and I was going to weigh out 70 grains of 3F and 4F to see what the volume difference would be. Thoughts?

Yes you certainly can use 4f for main charge loads. If you look around a bit you'll find a thread in the hunting section where Britsmoothey used charges of 4f in a ,45 rifle to bag several bunnies.

Also it has been noted that in the dissassembly of period paper cartridges from the War of Northern Aggression era, that there were many that were loaded with very fine BP, finer than even 4f.

Personally I think people get too hung up on grain size, and do not consider performance in their particular firearm enough, nor the brand/quality of BP they use. In some brands a lower F grade may perform like a higher one in other brands, depending on raw materials and manufacturing techniques.

All BP is not created equal, and so all 4f or 2f or whatever is not created equal.

Using 4f is not going to push you into the danger zone like smokeless will and many use 4f in rifles and even shotguns with good success. As stated above, less fouling can be one of the advantages to smaller grained powder.

Because all BP is not created equal, the important factor is working up a load for your particular firearm, finding what it likes and finding a load that will do what you want it to in the most effective and efficient manner. Start on the low end of where you think you want to be, and work your way up. Having a chronograph can help, but acute observation is s reasonable substitute.

Part of the fun in muzzleloading is in the creation of a load for your particular gun, and the practice will also make you a better shooter

I was using it yesterday.
For 70g of 3f start at 50 with the 4f.

Does it say on your can of 4f to not be used as a main charge?

Flintlock guns have the vent to act as a pressure relief.
There are many pressure differences between guns, rifles and smooth bores, percussion and flintlock, and the caliber or bore. Not to mention the composition and manufacture of the powder itself. Proceed with caution, youtube is full of videos of people who didn't proceed with caution.

Goex says;
Goex FFFFg (4Fg) is suited for Priming Powder for Flintlocks.

Flintlock guns have the vent to act as a pressure relief.
There are many pressure differences between guns, rifles and smooth bores, percussion and flintlock, and the caliber or bore. Not to mention the composition and manufacture of the powder itself. Proceed with caution, youtube is full of videos of people who didn't proceed with caution.

Goex says;
Goex FFFFg (4Fg) is suited for Priming Powder for Flintlocks.
I use it in flintlocks and caplocks. From .45 to .75.

Does it say on the cans to not be used as a main charge? It doesn't on mine.

Can you please put a link up of a video that confirms 4f damaged equipment and or people?
Much awaited.

B.

I use it in flintlocks and caplocks. From .45 to .75.

Does it say on the cans to not be used as a main charge? It doesn't on mine.

Can you please put a link up of a video that confirms 4f damaged equipment and or people?
Much awaited.

B.

I think you guys misunderstood me, carry on as usual.

I think you guys misunderstood me, carry on as usual.
I don't think so.
You like many others bang on and on how it is dangerous without a shred of evidence to support your suggestions.
For years I have asked for evidence and none is forth coming. In fact more evidence of it's safe use can be found over any evidence that it is dangerous!
So until we know better I shall keep using it.

I don't think so.
You like many others bang on and on how it is dangerous without a shred of evidence to support your suggestions.
For years I have asked for evidence and none is forth coming. In fact more evidence of it's safe use can be found over any evidence that it is dangerous!
So until we know better I shall keep using it.

No Brit, we are in the same boat. I have long used 3fff in everything I own including my howitzer. This also is against conventional wisdom.
It would be irresponsible of me to give a blanket endorsement of the use 3f or 4f to someone with entry level experience.

Evidence is hard to come by or doesn't exist because the vast majority of people follow the recommended guidelines. Guns are over built to a SAAMI or proof standard., and when an accident does happen it either isn't reported or isn't recorded into a searchable database.
In America you can blow up your guns all day long if you want and it's not reportable unless someone is injured requiring medical attention, someone dies or property is damaged.

No Brit, we are in the same boat. I have long used 3fff in everything I own including my howitzer. This also is against conventional wisdom.
It would be irresponsible of me to give a blanket endorsement of the use 3f or 4f to someone with entry level experience.

Evidence is hard to come by or doesn't exist because the vast majority of people follow the recommended guidelines. Guns are over built to a SAAMI or proof standard., and when an accident does happen it either isn't reported or isn't recorded into a searchable database.
In America you can blow up your guns all day long if you want and it's not reportable unless someone is injured requiring medical attention, someone dies or property is damaged.
I disagree.
You implied it is dangerous.
You or anyone without a shred of evidence do not have the right to play God in directing, encouraging or deterring anyone from doing anything you can not prove to be dangerous.
You are inducing fear for some kind of self induced nobel agenda that is not your privilege or right.

I disagree.
You implied it is dangerous.
You or anyone without a shred of evidence do not have the right to play God in directing, encouraging or deterring anyone from doing anything you can not prove to be dangerous.
You are inducing fear for some kind of self induced nobel agenda that is not your privilege or right.

Yep.

Unfortunately a lot of that going around on this side of the pond of late.

My supply of 3F powder was getting pretty low. I have been able to get my hands on 2 lbs of it for shooting. I certainly didn't want to start any confrontation regarding use of 4F as a main charge. I did do a search on the forum but couldn't find much info. I will certainly check out Britsmoothy's posts.
Since weight and volume are irrelevant, would it be more exacting to work up loads with a chronograph?

My supply of 3F powder was getting pretty low. I have been able to get my hands on 2 lbs of it for shooting. I certainly didn't want to start any confrontation regarding use of 4F as a main charge. I did do a search on the forum but couldn't find much info. I will certainly check out Britsmoothy's posts.
Since weight and volume are irrelevant, would it be more exacting to work up loads with a chronograph?
By all means use a chrono and please report back here.
My latest hunting story (just yesterday) was with a .45 using 4f.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back