• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

4D rentals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone rented from 4D rentals before? I’m tempted to cut 11deg forcing cones in my Uberti’s, but when I asked them if I should order the .45 cal for my 1860, and .38 cal for my 1851, the person responding wasn’t sure if that’d work. And I’m not shooting conversion cylinders, just the .380 and .457 round balls. I’m not even sure if cutting the forcing cone will even make a difference with these later Uberti’s

What would the rent be for the tools? I have the 11 degree tool and would consider doing a couple of jobs. I did some of my pistols and they were improved.

A friend and I rented some tools for installing a shotgun choke. The first set of tools they sent out were for the wrong brand and we had to send back. When we got the correct tools, they were top quality and worked as they should. It sure was a lot cheaper to rent than to buy the tools.

I don't know anything about their tools for cutting forcing cones. You might go to one of the SASS forums and ask there.

Has anyone rented from 4D rentals before? I’m tempted to cut 11deg forcing cones in my Uberti’s, but when I asked them if I should order the .45 cal for my 1860, and .38 cal for my 1851, the person responding wasn’t sure if that’d work. And I’m not shooting conversion cylinders, just the .380 and .457 round balls. I’m not even sure if cutting the forcing cone will even make a difference with these later Uberti’s

Why are you under the impression cutting new forcing cones is needed?...c

Not sure the 11° forcing cone makes all that much difference when shooting roundballs, though I have modified most of my revolvers. Saw the biggest accuracy improvement when I opened up the chamber size to match the rifling groove diameter plus .001” or so. Cut groups for some guns in half.

Start with a good baseline load and accuracy tests before starting to tweak things. I usually change things one at a time so I can track and understand improvements, or in some cases unfortunately, loss of accuracy.

Not sure the 11° forcing cone makes all that much difference when shooting roundballs, though I have modified most of my revolvers. Saw the biggest accuracy improvement when I opened up the chamber size to match the rifling groove diameter plus .001” or so. Cut groups for some guns in half.

Start with a good baseline load and accuracy tests before starting to tweak things. I usually change things one at a time so I can track and understand improvements, or in some cases unfortunately, loss of accuracy.
Thanks, I wanted some input. I did open up the chambers on my 1860, and that did make one hell of a difference. I was more curious than anything if the forcing cone would be even more of an improvement

I’m not. I’ve heard it helps with accuracy, and I like playing around with these to get them to function the best they can

Unless you have a gun so poorly made they forgot to cut any cone, most likely a waste of time. Fellow match shooters I coach frequently try to come up with schemes to buy better scores. Last ones were about using 4F Swiss for a main pistol charge and sticking the little pinky finger out. Gimmicks desperate shooters use to up their score are many. I suggest just kissing the blarney stone for luck and get more trigger time...c

Unless you have a gun so poorly made they forgot to cut any cone, most likely a waste of time. Fellow match shooters I coach frequently try to come up with schemes to buy better scores. Last ones were about using 4F Swiss for a main pistol charge and sticking the little pinky finger out. Gimmicks desperate shooters use to up their score are many. I suggest just kissing the blarney stone for luck and get more trigger time...c
Good to know, thanks. Honestly, I don’t see anything wrong with the cone that’s already cut from the factory. I was just curious about trying something new

Back