• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.480 lead ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your thinking and mine is VERY similar. I seldom shoot paper. Too boring! I'd rather shoot metal zoo critters, water jugs and anything else fun to shoot that destroys itself!

I got the idea from your video a buddy is shooting the same setup. Going to sign up for the woods walk and big 5 match at the nationals this year in Friendship. Should be fun.

@Pioneer flinter

I'm pretty sure Track of the Wolf is the only source for the Lee .480" six-cavity gang moulds, but I checked a little while ago, and they are currently in stock. You will need to get a set of Lee handles for them, and the handles are unfortunately out of stock, but I suppose you could "borrow" some handles from another Lee mould until the extras become available.

I think Lee only makes the .480" mould in the six-cavity version. I've never tried a gang mould like that, but based on @B P Maniac Shooter 's recommendation, I may just have to get one. I got a good deal on multiple boxes of Hornady swaged .480" balls a while back, so haven't needed to cast any of that size.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
You are correct. If you can find one these days...you can crank out 100's of round balls in no time using a 6 cavity mould. I've about worn mine out making over 10,000 round balls the past 4-5 years. For those of you that prefers those really tight .490's, Lees also makes them in 6 cavity:

Lee .490" round ball mold, six (6) cavity mold blocks, with cam-action sprue plate, for .50 caliber muzzleloading rifles, requires Lee handles - Track of the Wolf

Back