• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

48" Twist .50 Heaviest Bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my. 54 Renegade l shot mostly 420gr maxi-balls and some Buffalo Bullets that l believe were 460gr. Both would regularly print 3-shot cloverleafs at 75yd.

As a side note, at 75 yds the 420 gr maxi with 90gr powder and a .535 RB with 70gr powder shot to the exact same point of aim.

In a T/C factory 1:48 twist, 50 cal. barrel the Hornady 385 gn "Great Plains" bullet has been the largest, best shooting and the best performing on game bullet that I've ever found.

That's a good looking bullet. Makes me scratch my head over why a comparable mold isn't marketed. Fifty caliber hollow base bullets just don't need the oversized base cavities such as "minie" molds are commonly made with. The cavity in the plains bullet is just right.

i own several 1-48 twist .50 caliber rifles. the biggest bullet is No excuse 600 gr. i rarely shoot past 50 yards im a hog hunter and the majority of my shots are at less than 25 yards ive managed to keep groups into 3 inches at 50. that accuracy is nothing to brag about but i do use that bullet with 100 grains of pyrodex to humanely kill big boar. in my opinion the 385 gr Hornady in 50 caliber is hard to beat with a wonder wad over powder and 80-100 grains of your favorite powder

Just a passing thought but for hunting at those close ranges have you considered drilling out a used smaller diameter mold with a drill bit (maybe 31/64") and then polishing up the cavity some to make a slug for paper patching?
Just thinking about it and how to DIY on a slam dunk solid hitting piece of lead. Shouldn't be too hard to make something expand to fill the grooves.

Back