• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.458” round ball - what to shoot them with

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently bought a box of 400 cast soft lead round balls that were unmarked as to caliber. Measuring them revealed that they are .458” diameter. Isn’t that a size used in .45 caliber cap and ball revolvers? If so, I need a pistol!
Thanks!

I'd avoid trying to stuff them in a Brasser, it could be kinda hard on the frame pushing those .458 balls in to the chambers

I used .457's in a Pietta steel .44 Navy and it took some doing to pop those balls in

One of the best investments a fellow can make is a mould for his muzzleloaders, I haven't shot a store bought ball since the '70s...That way, when you find cheap lead, buy it and convert it to your needs...
Indeed.... I thought these might have been .490” and useable in my rifles. Just so happens that I have a .520” RB bag mold on the way from Larry Callahan Callahan Bagmolds & Accoutrements for a Uberti Hawken. My local gun shop has some cap and ball revolvers on display, but I don’t recall what they were though.

Back