• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.451 or .454?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eutycus

Cannon
Reaction score
I suppose there are some revolvers that could use either the .451 or the .454 diameter ball.It seems a fair amout of 44 shooters here prefer the .454. (And Ruger Old Army owners shoot the .457) So if the .454 can take the place of the .451 what is the point of the .451? Do some revolvers call for it only?

Last edited:
on my pietta 1858 new army i always used the .451 hornady ball and it shaved a ring. i bought some .454 hornady balls and when loading i had to push so hard that it sheared the pin in the plunger. i replaced all those components except for the rod. i decided to purchase a external cylinder loading stand but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Eutycus, I have a Remington 1858 Army 44 cal. I guess the size of ball used would depend on the size of the cylinder
bores, I have 2 cylinders for mine and I use the .451 ball , they both will shave off a good ring of lead loading. One
better than the other. Have tried .454 it put a lot of , I felt unwanted preasure on the loading arm. I now have a
seperate cylinder tool that I use and all is well.
gunnyr
Richard

Bore Butter You will like the cylinder loading stand. No pun intended but it makes loading buttery smooth. Wish
I had mine earlier , bought mine from Traditions.
Gunnyr
Richard

I use .451 in my short barreled Colt because the short ram makes .454 very difficult to ram but still cuts a small bit of ring.
My Rem 1858 it's the .454. shaves a good ring and provides better bearing surface in the riflings.
If my Rem 1858 cut a good ring with a .451 I would be checking the cylinder bore to barrel bore max.
44 cylinder bore should be .449 and that also depends on barrel max. I had a walker that the barrel measured .446. didn't shoot very good. Brought cylinder bore up to .451 and it shot very good.

Probably depends on who made the pistol more than anything else.

Cylinder loading stands are worth the money if you shoot much.

I'm a big believer in loading presses, there's just too much "oomph" on the rammer even though that's what they were made for. Maybe I should say too much pressure on the brass frame of the revolver.

Bore Butter You will like the cylinder loading stand. No pun intended but it makes loading buttery smooth. Wish
I had mine earlier , bought mine from Traditions.
Gunnyr
Richard
this is the stand i bought but never had the chance to use yet. has the attachments for 44cal. and 36cal.

loading stand.jpg

this is the stand i bought but never had the chance to use yet. has the attachments for 44cal. and 36cal.

View attachment 60291
Now, that's a loading tool! Who makes it, and where did you find it? I could use something like that!

That stand appears to have adjustments to accommodate any cylinder. It looks to be a very clever and robust design. Jeez, a forward-thinking outdoorsman could probably even design an adapter for cracking hickory nuts with that dude!

Notchy Bob

that is a Powder Inc. stand but i can't remember what the cost was. got it at the end of 2019 as a self Christmas present but then came the virus before i could get to the range. can't shoot in the back yard because of the city so here we sit hid in the house.

I'm guessing at this time most ammo factories are only putting out their "best sellers" due to component shortages (lead). And probably not operating at full capacity anyway. Are they even gonna bother making both size balls for a while?

That stand appears to have adjustments to accommodate any cylinder. It looks to be a very clever and robust design. Jeez, a forward-thinking outdoorsman could probably even design an adapter for cracking hickory nuts with that dude!

Notchy Bob

never thought about that, use it at the range and then in the kitchen. i may get right on that one this spring.

Latest posts

Back