• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

451 Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not so much new to BP revolvers but I use 454's and I have a few boxes of 451's. Other than size should I use these in my BP? If not why not? If not then why do they make a 451 ball?

Thanks,

Steve

:idunno:
For me it's all about shaving that ring off when I load the ball in the cylinder.
If a 451 does that, then fine.
I measured the cylinder bore in the two "44's" I have and each had a few holes over 451 so I bought the 454 mold

The only chain fire I've ever had was when I used some 451 rb's that I was given I shot 1 cylinder and had 2 chain fires out of that cylinder. Never again! I use only 454 now.

The chambers on my cylinders are .448 so I use .451. Works well for me. Measure the chambers in your cylinders, if you can use them you are ahead of the game. If the chambers are close to or larger than .451 don’t use them. Not worth the chance of getting a chain fire.

throw them into the melt pot and cast them into .454's

they are just too small to shave lead in many pistols

perhaps they are good in your chambers, but I bet at least one of them does not shave

I've used .451s in my Pietta Colts for years, No problem, If they shave a ring in your pistols use them,

Thanks everyone....I will measure my chambers in my guns and see which one I will use the 451's in. Appreciate everyones input... this is a great site!

Steve

What Dan said. Measure your chambers first. The ball diameter should be .003-.005 larger than the chamber for a good seal.You need a good tight seal to prevent chainfire. Be aware that some guns have chamfered throats and will not shave a lead ring, but rather, will force the ball down in a football-ish sort of way, so measuring is the best method.

Back