• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 T/C Seneca with QLA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EN

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Has any one had a problem with consistent accuracy with the prb and the QLA? If so did you cure it and how?

Has any one had a problem with consistent accuracy with the prb and the QLA? If so did you cure it and how?
Had a TC Big Bore with a QLA that was off center with the bore and was horrible in the accuracy department. Sold before correcting, although buyer was made aware of the issue. He just had to have that Big Bore. Sill have a 50 TC Firestorm flintlock with a QLA that shoots patched roundballs as accurate as any rifle I own or have owned. Would call accuracy potential luck of the draw with QLA barrel. If you run into problems with one, you could always shorten the barrel or center up and rebore the QLA, but would require access to a lathe to do correctly.

But the QLA (Quick Load Accurizer) was more like a counterbore than a cone. The intent/theory was to make a counterbore so the maxi-ball could be loaded straight and centered in the bore as some complaints were made that the maxi-ball couldn't be loaded with the original rifling and the base would get damaged. For round ball, the ball and patch could be thumb started and loaded with the ramrod only. The design left sharp lands at the end of the counterbore that tore up patches and in practice did not improve accuracy.

Seneca never had a QLA.They stopped being built before it was invented. Don't think the .45 Hawken ever had it either.

Well mine has what appears to be it.

Attachments

• DSCN2209.JPG
    DSCN2209.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 92
I had a .50 Hawken with QLA........shot terrible and I solved my problem by getting rid of the rifle. Only TC I ever owned that was a poor shooter. Never seen or heard of a Seneca with QLA.........Greg

Looks like I am going to have it cut and crowned. It is a sweet little rifle and a joy to carry. Thanks guys for all the feedback. I think my way is clear.

Some have had accuracy issues with the QLA. Solutions ranged from cutting the end of the barrel with the QLA off and recrowning the muzzle, selling the rifle, or trying it out and deciding the accuracy was acceptable.

I don't think anyone makes a coning type tool to ease the counter bore into the rifling as that would likely be the most help.

6" groups at 50yds using any number of patch and ball combos. I can't seem to find the patches to see if they are cut. The gun is bagged front and back. It is marginal at 25yds. It is acting like patch failure.

6" groups at 50yds using any number of patch and ball combos. I can't seem to find the patches to see if they are cut. The gun is bagged front and back. It is marginal at 25yds. It is acting like patch failure.
Are you new to muzzleloaders and patched roundballs? As you state, could be patch failure and nothing to do with QLA. What is your ball, patch, lube and powder combination? Sometimes an over powder wad protect the patch and tighten a group up. I have owned TCs with QLA barrels and they shot fine (ragged hole at 50 yards), but have also owned one with the QLA counterbore that wasn’t concentric with bore and it never grouped for me.

Patches were T/C .015, pillow ticking .020 and various other brands. Lubes tried were crisco, ballistol and water, 1000 plus. charges ranged from 30 to 50 grains of goex FFG. I tried 3f with worse results. Barrel was cleaned between shots. The diameter of the patches ran from 1 inch to 1 1/4 inches. The inside of the barrel is like new. No pitting or bulges. I am not new to muzzle loading and have rifles that shoot very well, some of them with dicey barrels. I thought of possibly using an over powder wad but that won't help if the patch is being cut at loading. I really like this rifle and am determined to keep it.

Back