• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.45 Smoothy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As many as you'd like to share! Super cool! Are you pleased with your .45 smoothy?
Sure am. It's taken plenty with 5/8-3/4 Oz loads.
IMG_20181214_151419956.jpg

DSC08796.JPG

Sure am. It's taken plenty with 5/8-3/4 Oz loads.
View attachment 43081
View attachment 43084

Amazing!! My uses would be for squirrels, rabbits, mainly. I've also heard with round ball they can make tight groups out to 50 yards or so, plenty for whitetails in the Eastern American forests.

I'm wanting to find or have made a Schimmel or barn gun/poor boy smoothy. Would be super versatile not to mention bloody cool!

Amazing!! My uses would be for squirrels, rabbits, mainly.
My ‘smallest’ smoothbore muzzleloader is a 56 caliber. At 25 yards and the correct load it will put down any small game. Killed plenty of game with a 410 as kid. Squirrels, rabbits, pheasants. If I had a 45 muzzleloader smoothbore I would have complete confidence in it for small game.

Amazing!! My uses would be for squirrels, rabbits, mainly. I've also heard with round ball they can make tight groups out to 50 yards or so, plenty for whitetails in the Eastern American forests.

I'm wanting to find or have made a Schimmel or barn gun/poor boy smoothy. Would be super versatile not to mention bloody cool!
IMG_20200104_154030231.jpg
DSC09440.JPG

For those who don't know, Britsmoothy hunted in England for years using his .45 caliber smoothbore rifle using a patched roundball. He had excellent results with it slaying small game animals.

Then, one day, he received notification from the officials that using a single projectile in his smoothbore to hunt with was illegal in that country.
Since then, he has switched to using shot in his .45 smoothbore.

From what I've seen in the Muzzleloading Hunting section of the forum, going to shot hasn't hurt his success ratio but the experience has made him a bit disgruntled about the situation.

I can envision britsmoothy loading a round ball, while “ breaking the law” by Iron Maiden plays in the background........

By law in England I can (apparently) load no less than five .36" balls into a "shotgun" ( don't ask me to explain, I don't try and understand idiots be them in government, law makers or whomever) and for the purpose of this thread and all things .45" smoothrifle I've done it with success.
Ok, only on small game still but heck, I would not like to be a small deer to 30 yards no siree!
Now as much as I like all my muzzleloaders, the Bess could go, the 12gauges could go but the .45" and the .63" ( Pedersoli trade gun) stay put!

Latest posts

Back