• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.45 Pedersoli KLR load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skypilot39b

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been experimenting with loads and patching on my .45 Pedersoli Kentucky Long Rifle, all PRB....good tight, 2-3" groups at 50 yards, can't find it on a 4'x4' paper at 100 yards. FRUSTRATING! I'm shooting 70 up to 90 grains FFF. would FF make a difference? what are some of your thoughts

Did you try 60, 75 or 80 yards? Maybe that would tell you something? It's hard for people to guess when you could probably tell yourself. IMO

That is interesting that you aren't hitting the paper. With 70 grains, the drop shouldn't be more than 8-10 inches and even with some wind you should stay on the paper at 100 yards.

Do you know the rate of twist of the rifling on your rifle?

it's a 1:48 twist, I'm still doing a lot of learning about it, playing with patching etc. I just wasn't sure how much difference the FF would make instead of the FFF. I'm casting my own balls, but checking them and they are all 127 grain, so I should be good there

The groups at 50 yds...where are they asre the point of aim?

Human error and how is the eyesight at 100 yds?.....Fred

I'd say try FF if you have it or can borrow a bit, but if you have to buy a pound you're out some several bucks for a chance. Which I don't think will matter that much with a .45 Caliber.

Are you taken the calibers measuring them they could be 440 to 445or439wich will throw your hole shot off

That's my first thoughts too. Examine your patches. Even if they are ok, experiment with different combinations. Big jump from fifty to one hundred yards if your tearing patches.

I had similar results recently and tried an over powder patch between the powder and properly patched roundball. It allows me to use a thinner and more easily loaded 0.010 patch which resulted in immediate clover leafs at fifty yards.

YES try ff instead of fff

Yes I've a very old and slower twist .45, and for some reason it shoots better with 2Fg. So why not try it.

Also for Pedersoli, check your patches. They sometimes leave burrs on the egdes of their lands, and cut patches. I had a Pedersoli Frontier sold as a Cabela's Blue Ridge Hunter that shot conicals well, and would also shoot patched round ball at 25 yards into the same hole, but at 50 yards it was a 6" group and not on paper at 70-100 yards. When I looked at the patches I had from 4 to 6 holes corrisponding to the lands, and after some polishing of the bore, it shot patched round ball very well.

LD

WELL how is the barrel in the stock is it loose try to glass bed it and see if that help and look at the crown it might be off

I was using some pre-lubed .010 patches, they looked pretty good when I picked them up. I'm out of them and wanting to do some playing with other stuff. I wasn't getting consistant shots with them so I don't feel like I'm losing anything. I'd like to find some good mattress ticking, I bought some from Hobby Lobby but it doesn't seem nearly as tight a weave as the pre-cut patches I was working with.

My mold is .437, I've also got a box of Hornady .440 balls that I haven't done anything with.

I'm headed out today to do some playing, I don't think I'll get to the longer range, I'm somewhat limited on time to drive today so will likely go to the closer range but all I can shoot there is either 25 yards or 100 yards, nothing in between. but I figure if I can tighten up groups at 25 yards that will help to translate to other distances

I appreciate the help and feedback

Loyalist Dave said:

Yes I've a very old and slower twist .45, and for some reason it shoots better with 2Fg. So why not try it.

Also for Pedersoli, check your patches. They sometimes leave burrs on the egdes of their lands, and cut patches. I had a Pedersoli Frontier sold as a Cabela's Blue Ridge Hunter that shot conicals well, and would also shoot patched round ball at 25 yards into the same hole, but at 50 yards it was a 6" group and not on paper at 70-100 yards. When I looked at the patches I had from 4 to 6 holes corrisponding to the lands, and after some polishing of the bore, it shot patched round ball very well.

LD

ahh, interesting. I've not noticed holes in the patches, but when I run a cleaning patch through it, that will get holes in it. And that's pretty much what I'm seeing, great groups at 25 yards, 50 is ok, but not great and 100 seems totally random....how do I polish the barrel?

You might try a 3M scotchbright pad run up and down the bore a few times. They do a good job of polishing the lands, Stacey

Yep, with a bit of toothpaste. Worked for my barrels. Also use toothpaste to polish the inside of newly bought dive masks. Stops them from fogging, something to do with the protective coating or wax residue from the factory or something.

Also works good on teeth!

skypilot39b said:
Loyalist Dave said:

LD

ahh, interesting. I've not noticed holes in the patches, but when I run a cleaning patch through it, that will get holes in it. And that's pretty much what I'm seeing, great groups at 25 yards, 50 is ok, but not great and 100 seems totally random....how do I polish the barrel?

polished it up good with lapping compound. I just put a patched ball to the breech--no load in the gun--and pulled it, patch is uncut! looking forward to getting to a range to see if it works more betterer

OK, I finally got this out to a range. MUCH improved. I only shot at 100 yards, I wasn't at a range where I could shoot shorter distances. I had about a 5-6 inch group low and left of POI. I'm still working on a little more consistency, experimenting with different ball sizes and patching and I'll play with powder once I get those so I feel comfortable. Thanks for the help

Back