• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 patch and ball load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misfire

32 Cal
Reaction score
Anyone have a substitute black powder load. Hawkin .45 Greenriver barrel. 90 grs of 3F black powder has worked great over 40 years with this gun, but no more black powder vendors here. I shoot a 127 gr cast patched round.

I've been fooling around with Triple 7 2f in my own 45.
About 70 grains by volume seems to be a good load with the 445 ball and .010 patch.
There's a muzzleloader shop in Berryville, Arkansas. I believe they sell black powder.
There's also Graf&sons in Missouri for black powder.
Just a few days ago I bought a pound of Triple 7 3f. I plan to try that in my 45.
I think about 60 grains should be a good starting point.

Anyone have a substitute black powder load. Hawkin .45 Greenriver barrel. 90 grs of 3F black powder has worked great over 40 years with this gun, but no more black powder vendors here. I shoot a 127 gr cast patched round.
Big Flat, howdy. I'm in Mountain Home, other end of the county. Real bp can be hard come by. There is a manufacturer in Arkansas. I forget the name right now but you can order from them. BTW, 90 gr. bp in a .45 is a bit stiff. I have shot 45s for that long and rarely had to go over 65 gr. for hunting or 100 yard shooting.

Geez is that a lot of wasted powder.

My 42 inch barrel can only consume 74.5 grains before it runs out of barrel, maximum.
55gr is my standard load, 74.5 is for further than 100 yards.
Being your using the fake stuff, 85gr would still be too much. 90gr is a flame thrower.

I wonder if there is a version of the Davenport Formula for fake powders

I would try Pyrodex P at around 60-70gr and go from there. When I had a Pedersoli Kentucky .45 percussion, I found 60gr gave great results. In my .54 Renegade barrel, I used 90gr Pyro P for years below a .530 ball. Shot great! As I found a small supply of Goex 3fg for a reasonable price a couple years back I’ve switched back to black. However when things dry up again I will have no issues going back to the Pyro P.
Walk

@Misfire

There are multiple vendors of blackpowder through the 'mail'. May I suggest Travelers Antiques and Trading @ Toby Butler 806-679-9016 or @ Anna Butler 806-470-4130.

They offer Schuetzen brand bp at fair prices. I have ordered from them before and they are 100% legit.

If you just can't stomach the hazmat and minimum order of 10 pounds, I would suggest Pyrodex instead of T7.

edit- I've found that Schuetzen is very comparable to Goex in velocity and fouling. I appreciate that Schuetzen/Wano/Swiss has stepped up to try to fill the gap that the closing of Goex left.

No BP here either...Old timer told me to use 1 1/2 times caliber for a hunting load. For my Hawken .45 that would be 67.5 grains. So I shoot 70 grains Pyrodex Select. My Hawken repro is a T/C Hawken circa 1978. She loves that load....and gives me 7/8 inch groups with target holes touching each other.

I would try Pyrodex P at around 60-70gr and go from there. When I had a Pedersoli Kentucky .45 percussion, I found 60gr gave great results. In my .54 Renegade barrel, I used 90gr Pyro P for years below a .530 ball. Shot great! As I found a small supply of Goex 3fg for a reasonable price a couple years back I’ve switched back to black. However when things dry up again I will have no issues going back to the Pyro P.
Walk
I was just rereading this post and I don’t know what I was thinking. Talking about one gun’s load while quoting anothers?!?
Anyhow, the .45 load was 40gr not 60. I never played with potential hunting loads.
Walk

Back