• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SOLD REDUCED .45 North Star Arms THE PLAINSMAN

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I can find very little about this rifle, but it's a corker! Made by North Star Arms and called THE PLAINSMAN, its 31 1/4" barrel has 1:66 twist and a beautiful bore. Finish 98% easily. A few small nicks. It has a snail bolster in its anodized (?) metal breech. Blade front and adjustable rear sights. Stock is very good with minimal handling marks. LOP is 13 1/8", has a single trigger and no cheekpiece. Brass fittings with pewter-like nose cap. Neat little rifle seldom encountered. $340 + Shipping.
IMG_20220524_124328445.jpg
IMG_20220524_124537391.jpg
IMG_20220524_124337190.jpg
IMG_20220524_124544616.jpg
IMG_20220524_124345613.jpg
IMG_20220524_124550022.jpg
IMG_20220524_124409629.jpg
IMG_20220524_124447433.jpg
IMG_20220524_124433645.jpg
IMG_20220524_124843353.jpg

Last edited:
Found and purchased original manual that I will include. Lagniappe!
I am not so sure that manual and gun go together.

The name 'Plainsman Rifle' seems to have been used by North Star Arms and The Muzzleloading Armoury and they aren't connected.
If you google the Plainsman from Muzzleloading Armoruy the picture of the gun it pulls up while very similar are not the same gun. It seems to me it is pretty much the same as the Pioneer Rifle from CVA and as MA was selling Spanish made guns I suspect they are the same gun. except the Plainsman has a double triggers and the Pioneer has a single trigger
The one from MA has a key wedge holding the barrel in and the one you post is pined and looks like a higher quality rifle.

Actually, that is a darned nice looking rifle.
Butt stock architecture is unusually well designed for an imported rifle.

Found this blurb from an old online auction.

"Hello, I saw your rifle on auctionarms, and thought I could give you a little history on it. I'm quite sure that it was made by a local gunsmith in Western Minnesota in a small town called Ortonville, just 5 miles from my house. I've got one just like it, and know of several other local people here that also have them. The gunsmith's shop is known as "North Star Arms", and I purchase my muzzleloading supplies through him. I bought one of his plainsman rifles at an auction in a neighboring town. I recognized it as one of his, so I took it to him to get some history on mine. He removed the barrel and the serial number on the bottom side of the breech end was 80. He told me that he would have put #80 together in the early 60's. He also said that he made many of them for Dixie Gun Works in the 60's. I believe he told me he made somewhere around 900 of them in all. Mine shoots very good, but it was in very good condition when I bought it about 6 years ago, and I keep it that way. I really like the lock on mine. It is quiet, crisp and smooth. Much better than any Thompson Center, Lyman, or CVA locks on my other muzzleloaders. Thought you'd like some history. If you take off the barrel and get the serial number, I could check with him to find out the approximate year that he put it together. ~G"

So looks like a small shop in Ortonville, MN built it and sold them through Dixie at one time.

Attachments

• 1653489482342.png
    1653489482342.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back