• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.45 Cherokee load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Today I shot my Cherokee with a 70gr load of 3f with a hornady 180gr xtp 40cal sabot.

Gun shot good out to 100 yards.

just curious if y’all think 70grs of 3F is pushing the max charge?

My old T/C chart says a max load is 80grs of 2F with maxi ball.

Have any of you here ever worked up a yardage velocity and energy chart for various loads on the T/C .45?

i got this rifle when I was 12 years old, 44 now

would like to take a nice buck with it someday.

I would say probably good enough. Too much recoil can crack the stock behind the lock area, and 70g should give enough for75- 100yd deer. I have a .45 Seneca, and shoot 60g in it with a maxiball with good results. Those stocks are hard to find if you need a replacement.

While not a TC, my own 45 caliber rifle shoots best with a .445 round ball, .015" cotton patch over 80 grains of 3f Swiss.
If your own particular load is working good, I'd say to stick with it.

Today I shot my Cherokee with a 70gr load of 3f with a hornady 180gr xtp 40cal sabot.

Gun shot good out to 100 yards.

just curious if y’all think 70grs of 3F is pushing the max charge?

My old T/C chart says a max load is 80grs of 2F with maxi ball.

Have any of you here ever worked up a yardage velocity and energy chart for various loads on the T/C .45?

i got this rifle when I was 12 years old, 44 now

would like to take a nice buck with it someday.
It’s been 30 plus years but I recall using Pyrodex pellets with that same projectile. I used two pellets so that would have been 100 grains. I sold that rifle because the stock and rear sight configuration made it difficult to get my cheek far enough down on the stock to pick up the front sight. I had even installed a red dot on it for hunting. Such blasphemy !!😳

Back