• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.45 caliber smooth bore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have .40 flintlock and the barrel Is, ehh so so I got it used and it was a good price, but everything else works fine. I like the gun, I got it for squirrels to be honest, so with this in mind if I got this barrel smoothed out to a .45 caliber how far am I accurately going to be able to use shot in it with? A patch round ball I know shouldn't be to bad at about 30yrds but as far as bird shot what's my patterns going to look like? I know only shooting it and testing would tell but I was just wondering if anyone here has a ".450" smoothie?

Go down to the Hunting section and follow the various threads by Britsmoothy. He has one and has been using it lots. Bottom line, it works much better than anyone could guess by looking at charts and numbers and statistics. Works so good I want one NOW!

I know it's not quite the same, but I have a .54 caliber that I'm in love with.

Rich Pierce said:
Would seem to throw a long shot column.

Based on Britsmoothy's results and my own long experience, I'm beginning to wonder if that's such a bad thing, after all.

I've hunted steadfastly and quite successfully for almost 6 decades with modern guns in both 410 and 28 gauge. Despite all the raspberries you hear about the 410 on game, it only gives up about 5 yards to the 28 gauge everyone feels so fashionable in praising. That makes it a 30 yard gun, verified in my direct experience puffing clouds of bird feathers and bunny fur.

I'd love to live with that kind of performance in a light little muzzleloader! :grin:

Not to make things worse but I picked up an early penn .45 cal smooth bore rifle from Sittingfox couple weeks ago. I've read all Brittsmoothy post on his 45 an Just had to have one to chase bushy tails here in mtns. And like Brown Bear I've had good results with my old .410 it served me well.

This is good to here in deed.
Do consider the guns fit!
It must fit you perfectly for wing shooting.

I have never fussed over long shot patterns, in fact, with muzzleloaders I do better with small bores than I do with larger bores/gauges.
The little guns are equally impressive and more frugal.

B :hatsoff:

Shoot what you will, but my squirrel gun is a rifled .45 and the reason I like it so much is twofold.....extremely accurate out to 35 yds and occasionally even further and don't like chomping down on a BB. Did that once which resulted in an expensive trip to the dentist.

As was said.....a long shot string w/ a .45 but on a stationary target, it doesn't matter.

Some can hit flying gamebirds w/ a .410, but it's not an overall good choice as would be your .45. Would be OK for plunking game birds on the ground if head hit.....Fred

flehto said:
Shoot what you will, but my squirrel gun is a rifled .45 and the reason I like it so much is twofold.....extremely accurate out to 35 yds and occasionally even further and don't like chomping down on a BB. Did that once which resulted in an expensive trip to the dentist.

As was said.....a long shot string w/ a .45 but on a stationary target, it doesn't matter.

Some can hit flying gamebirds w/ a .410, but it's not an overall good choice as would be your .45. Would be OK for plunking game birds on the ground if head hit.....Fred
Not so sir. I have stacks of photos of wing shots with my .45"
I notice you don't say you have used a .45" smoothbore!

My .45" smoothbore is better than any .410" I have owned, and that is several!

B.

I have owned only one .410 and it was NOT reliable to kill a tree rat! I always shot 3" mag # 4 shot and it seemed to take at least two shots. My tree rats fall to a .32 on most ocassions (once in a while an unmentionable lil'r smokeless cartridge thats gettin easier to find feed for nowadays. I dont use my muzzleloading shot guns as per above I HATE bitin on shot.

azmntman said:
... 3" mag # 4 shot and it seemed to take at least two shots....

Not to get too far into the modern stuff, but it sounds like some pattern work was needed. I expect the same with a 45 caliber smoothbore.

Only reason I bring it up is that I ALWAYS get better patterns with the 2 1/2" 410's and never use shot larger than #6 and #7.5's are loads better. Same with the 28. If (when) I get a 45 caliber smoothy, I'll be doing lots of pattern testing, focusing on shot charges between 1/2 oz and 3/4 oz, and probably never pouring so much as a single pellet larger than a #6 down the bore. I'm guessing, but instinct tells me I'll end up with around 5/8- 3/4 of #6 as a pet load.

Okay-

That was a big lead-up for asking Britsmoothy about his loads. Lots to learn here.

I'm another one that doesn't like to bite into shot pellets. I like rifles and use them for small game and large. A .45 smoothbore should shoot ball well enough for most uses.

I stick to a measure of 5/8 Oz of 7narfs, #8 too.

I use the same measure for single ball or double ball.
I have a 20grn measure for sub sonic ball too.

B.

Yep, ever since Britsmoothy has been talking about his, I think I need one too.

William Alexander

azmntman said:
I have owned only one .410 and it was NOT reliable to kill a tree rat! I always shot 3" mag # 4 shot and it seemed to take at least two shots. My tree rats fall to a .32 on most ocassions (once in a while an unmentionable lil'r smokeless cartridge thats gettin easier to find feed for nowadays. I dont use my muzzleloading shot guns as per above I HATE bitin on shot.

Try the shorter rounds with small bores...like muzzle loaders, the lesser pressure will improve patterns.

Back