• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 Caliber Shotgun Advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the rifling is shallow it could be made into a smooth bore by using a brake hone on a long rod with a hand drill.A few hours should do it.Part of this game is tring to see what works.

I wondered if I could hone out the bore without sending the barrel out. I was surfing the net for info. Tanks for the input.

I had the day off from work so I loaded up the 45 flintlock and a couple unmentionables and headed out to the range. This was my first attempt at shooting a muzzle loading "shotgun." I really had a fun time. I was able to hit paper at 25 yards but the pattern wasn't the greatest. I have a reamer on the way to remove the shallow rifling. I loaded 3/4 ounce of shot and 50 grains of FFF.

Just wanted to report back on my progress on the 45. This weekend, I was able to hand ream the bore on the rifle. I took my time and frequently cleaned the reamer and lubed with cutting oil. The job is now finished! I will say that reaming took me 2 days to finish. I reamed until the end of the reamer was just above the bore. I then welded a 3/8" x 36" rod to the end of the reamer. My tap handle spun on the rod so I needed to use my angle grinder to add an "angle" so it wouldn't spin. I continued reaming until I did the entire length of the bore. I will say that progress was slow by hand, but I got the job done. The surface finish near the bore looks rougher than I would like. I'm sure that it will be functional, but I'm going to purchase a brake hone to further finish the surface.
When the weather gets nicer, I intend to work on load development. I'm anxious to be able to get this "rifle" into use after all these years. My father bought this kit for a Christmas present for me in 1976. I assembled it when I was 15 years old. My father died in 1984. This kit was horrible as a rifle. I'm hoping that it will be much better as a small-bore shotgun. It will make me feel closer to my dad if I can get this firearm functioning to a point where I can use it for small game hunting.

There is nothing wrong with a .45" smoothbore.
View attachment 173682
IS that one rifled or is it smooth? They were saying in some replies it will suffer when using shot with rifling. I know in a much larger caliber with round bottom rifling shot is poor. On this one..., I don't know, and you're my BP shotgun Guru, so.....

LD

Hi Dave.
Thanks for your response. This kit stared out as a rifle. I tried some shotgun loads with rifling but results were less than desireable.

Just wanted to report back on my progress on the 45. This weekend, I was able to hand ream the bore on the rifle. I took my time and frequently cleaned the reamer and lubed with cutting oil. The job is now finished! I will say that reaming took me 2 days to finish. I reamed until the end of the reamer was just above the bore. I then welded a 3/8" x 36" rod to the end of the reamer. My tap handle spun on the rod so I needed to use my angle grinder to add an "angle" so it wouldn't spin. I continued reaming until I did the entire length of the bore. I will say that progress was slow by hand, but I got the job done. The surface finish near the bore looks rougher than I would like. I'm sure that it will be functional, but I'm going to purchase a brake hone to further finish the surface.
When the weather gets nicer, I intend to work on load development. I'm anxious to be able to get this "rifle" into use after all these years. My father bought this kit for a Christmas present for me in 1976. I assembled it when I was 15 years old. My father died in 1984. This kit was horrible as a rifle. I'm hoping that it will be much better as a small-bore shotgun. It will make me feel closer to my dad if I can get this firearm functioning to a point where I can use it for small game hunting.
Well done

IS that one rifled or is it smooth? They were saying in some replies it will suffer when using shot with rifling. I know in a much larger caliber with round bottom rifling shot is poor. On this one..., I don't know, and you're my BP shotgun Guru, so.....

LD
Smoothbore Dave.
I'm nothing special either.
I just get on with it that's all šŸ‘šŸ».

Years ago I had a CVA 45 rifle, when I tried shot with a newspaper was I got 15yds useable pattern.
Others may get a better return than that though.

Latest posts

Back