• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 caliber percussion pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregononeshot

36 Cal.
Reaction score
My mom bought a 45 caliber percussion pistol (a reproduction) at a yard sale. I don't remember the brand, I can look at it when I get home, but she was told that they fired it multiple times. She wants me to try to shoot it but I have no experience with pistols. I have material for both 50 and 54 caliber rifles, but no pistol stuff. I have checked the barrel and it's not loaded, and the barrel and gun look to be in good shape. Other than 45 caliber balls and caps, what do I need to shoot this pistol?

The usual stuff such as balls. Measure the bore diameter. Some of the 45 caliber marked guns really take a 0.440" or 0.433" diameter ball. Get a cleaning/loading jag to fit the bore.

Patching will be required to wrap the ball. Plain 100% cotton pillow ticking will work just fine.

Patch lubricant which can be anything from spit to an oil based lubricant.

Use the same powder you use in your rifles. This may like 3fg better than 2f, but both will make that pistol shoot.

Check the nipple for wear due to possible dry firing. Its not really a bad idea to get a new nipple in any case. Take the old nipple to a hardware store with try threads to figure out the thread size so you can buy or order the correct size for your pistol.

When you get the chance let us know the make and possible model.

To add to your list: black powder or a reliable substitute like Triple Seven or Pyrodex. You probably will need patching material. Having the correct size ball (.45 pistol can take .440, .445, .450 diameter round balls depending on bore/groove dimensions) and the right thickness of patching material is essential for any kind of accuracy.

Patch lube is useful but you can probably get by with a "spit patch" if you don't have anything else. It is good to have a proper nipple wrench so you can remove the nipple of necessary. You will also need a good loading rod, a correctly sized jag and some cleaning patches to deal with fouling and cleanup after shooting. Some kind of anti-rust oil to protect the metal after the gun has been cleaned will keep it in good shape between shooting sessions.

The first thing I would do: Make a loading stand. Don't need to be complicated, but it is sooooooooooooo much easier to load a pistol when it is sitting in a stand. Keep us posted and give mom a hug for me. Mine passed in 2006
Flintlocklar

One thing not mentioned is a starting load. I would suggest somewhere in the 25-40 grains as a starting load in a 45 caliber single shot percussion pistol. Most folks would probably use 3f, but 2f can be used if that is all you have. I would start with 25 grains of black powder.

My wife bought her very first ever gun at Friendship last month, a .45 cal Kentucky percussion pistol by Pedersoli. She shot it with 15 grains of 3Fg Old Eynsford, while I bumped it to 20 grains (at 25 yards).

Many places on this web site you will read about people using thick patches like .018 or .020 thick material.

That is fine and dandy for rifles where large powder loads are used but with a pistol such as the one your mom got I recommend using thin patches.

Look for .010 or .012 thick ones.

Using these thinner patches will make starting the ball and ramming it down the bore easier and as you will find, ramming a patched ball down the barrel of a pistol can be a chore.

The smaller powder loads will work with the thinner patches so there isn't any great loss of accuracy from using them.

Have fun. :)

I would first determine the maker then go on line to locate a user manual and follow their instructions. If you can not find a user manual then try to find a Lyman black powder book and do some reading. The book will have general info on ball sizes, powder loads and patch material info along with lube types. All the info that people have given here is good info and it will get you started but I suggest a book or owners manual so you know what is the safe instructions given by the maker of the firearm. :v

Okay guys the make is Jukar and it's from Spain. I have everything mentioned so far except a load book and balls. I'll try to pick some balls up tomorrow before I head to deer camp for 9 days, I really want to shoot it!

The Jukar barrels were notoriously tight in bore diameter, but were none the less quite accurate.

Measure the bore before you buy any balls. I would expect that you will need 0.433" or 0.437" diameter balls.

I have a couple of Jukar pistols. One is a CVA and the other is unknown. The CVA is percussion and the other is flint. I've gotten along fine with .440 round balls in both. I use pillow ticking patching in both. It compresses to about .006 with a micrometer.

Jukar's flintlocks could be questionable with regards to the lock. I had one in the middle 1970s with a soft frizzed that would not harden and spark. The one I have now came to me as part of a package deal and works fine. The cap locks seem to be okay. Their barrels are more accurate than I can shoot a pistol.

Back