• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 Caliber Browning Mountain Rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregdaws

Pilgrim
Reaction score
So, I recently purchased a Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle in .45 and I am looking for accurate load data. I have searched previous posts and found some data such as 90grains of FFG with a .445 ball & a .15 patch. Is there anyone currently shooting this rifle in .45. If yes what loads are you using. Does anyone have access to to the original manual or other printed load data for the gun ? Any help appreciated. Thanks

A couple years ago a friend got a copy of the manual direct from Browning. If you go to their webpage for manuals, there is a contact address--if you contact them they may still be able to provide a copy.

So, I recently purchased a Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle in .45 and I am looking for accurate load data. I have searched previous posts and found some data such as 90grains of FFG with a .445 ball & a .15 patch. Is there anyone currently shooting this rifle in .45. If yes what loads are you using. Does anyone have access to to the original manual or other printed load data for the gun ? Any help appreciated. Thanks
-Hornady .440 Round Ball
-.15-.18 patches
-Greasy slick lube
-FFFG 70 grain to start (Swiss Powder)
-Cap

While not a Browning, my on 45 caliber rifle seems to like 70 grains [V] with the .445 ball and a .010 thick patch.
You'll need to experiment with different loads to find out what your rifle likes.
The general rule is 50 caliber and under 3f powder is best. I pretty much use 3f for all my guns.

The serious load for my go-to .45 is 70 grains of 3F and a canvas (.024") patch. It does well with either a .440" or a .445" ball. I no longer hunt so this is just a once-in-a-while load. General shooting is a much lighter load. Another .45 likes a .440" ball and 60 grns of 3F, but this rifle is for targets, not the bush.

I looked back through my references and found the 1982 edition of The Gun Digest Black Powder Loading Manual, by Sam Fadala. This has one page for each of the three calibers in which the Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle was produced. Here is an amateur photo of the page concerning the .45:

45 JBMR 1.jpg

...and a closer look at the table, just for clarity:

45 jbmr 2.jpg

Mr. Fadala evidently tried only one ball size (.445") and one type and thickness of patch (.015" Ox-Yoke Blue Stripe, by which I think he means ticking). However, I found it interesting that the table shows both volume equivalent and actual grain weight of his various powder charges. There may be more information about the rifle and the test parameters and results elsewhere in the book, but I don't see much about accuracy on this page; only that the relatively mild 50 grain load was most accurate, yet he suggested the 90 grain load would be best for hunting.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Sam Fadala was always fond of the high power, more of the magnum loads, when accurate loads would be just as good for hunting. When shooting as many rounds as needed for that book, it's not surprising that he only tried one round ball and one thickness of patching. Still that book does provide a lot of good information about a lot of different rifles and in this case information about the Browning Mountain Rifles that isn't readily available elsewhere.

Thanks for providing the page from the Gun Digest Loading Manual, @Notchy Bob.

Honestly, a .45 calibre muzzleloader is a .45 calibre muzzleloader. Your only significant variations are going to be barrel length, rifling twist and ignition system. The fact that one gun is a Browning Mountain Rifle and the next is a CVA Plains Rifle is immaterial, if they are both .45 calibre.

The one “Constant“ that I’ve found is that each gun will have a specific load that is the most accurate for that gun.

That being said, one benefit of asking others with the same gun about their loads, is that the same designed and built gun will have similar ballistic harmonics, thus helping to narrow the search for that elusive perfect load.

So for .45 calibre smokepoles, in general, start with a load of fffg at around 45 grains to 55 grains of powder. Look at different patch, ball, powder combinations until you find a combination that is the most accurate for your gun.

My 2 current .45’s have barrel twists of 1-66”. They are both flintlocks.

One has a 36” barrel and is lights out accurate with a .440 patched RB on top of 55 grains of fffg powder.

The other .45 has a 42” barrel and has a distinct preference for 60 grains of fffg, with the same ball and patching combination (though I’m still fiddling with this gun).

Last edited:
I looked back through my references and found the 1982 edition of The Gun Digest Black Powder Loading Manual, by Sam Fadala. This has one page for each of the three calibers in which the Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle was produced. Here is an amateur photo of the page concerning the .45:

View attachment 140637

...and a closer look at the table, just for clarity:

View attachment 140639

Mr. Fadala evidently tried only one ball size (.445") and one type and thickness of patch (.015" Ox-Yoke Blue Stripe, by which I think he means ticking). However, I found it interesting that the table shows both volume equivalent and actual grain weight of his various powder charges. There may be more information about the rifle and the test parameters and results elsewhere in the book, but I don't see much about accuracy on this page; only that the relatively mild 50 grain load was most accurate, yet he suggested the 90 grain load would be best for hunting.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Mr' Fadala,s optimum load for accuracy of 50 grains is what I think would be most accurate as well in a .45 cal. ML. I recall years ago getting a .50 cal. TC, set up. It was a tack driver with 60 grains of Pyrodex and the owner of the gun didn't like it? He wanted more powder in the rifle? I told him it is what it is? I hear of people shooting heavy loads in ML rifles and getting good accuracy. I haven't figured out how to do it yet?

I have 4 .45 rifles; two are flintlock and two are percussion. The two percussions like 60 grains of 3F while the two flint .45s do well with 60 grains but better with 70. I've used 40 grns before and the results were far from shabby. My .50, for instance, shines with 30 grains of 2F at 30 yards.

Some good info here. My first ML was a 45 and back then I knew only one person with experience. to rely on. He started me out with 110gr of powder and it almost knocked my jaw off. My first hunting trip I shot a deer, aimed at his heart and hit him in the head. Told everyone that was where I was aiming. Hung the rifle up because I did not like the recoil. Had a break-in and lost that rifle, what a relief that was. Took me about 40yr to get over it. I enjoy all this experience that is available here and read up before I make any move.

Mr' Fadala,s optimum load for accuracy of 50 grains is what I think would be most accurate as well in a .45 cal. ML. I recall years ago getting a .50 cal. TC, set up. It was a tack driver with 60 grains of Pyrodex and the owner of the gun didn't like it? He wanted more powder in the rifle? I told him it is what it is? I hear of people shooting heavy loads in ML rifles and getting good accuracy. I haven't figured out how to do it yet?
I agree, most people think they need much more powder. Early hunters cupped their hand and covered the ball. LUNG SHOTS!
Nit Wit

Back