• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.45 Cal Smoothie Ga?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

58 Cal.
Reaction score
What gauge would a smooth bore .45 be? From a Google search I see a .488” is a 40 ga and a .410 is a 67.62 ga.

Gauge is the equal number of balls of lead that total a pound. For example ten 10 gauge balls will weigh a pound in total and each ball will weigh 700 grains. The diameter of the ball will equal the diameter of the bore.

Take the diameter of the bore and convert it to the weight of a lead ball... .For example a .451 lead ball weighs 138 grains
There are 7000 grains in a pound.
divide 7000 by 138 = gauge. (50.72)
50.72 is the gauge....We round off for convenience. 51.

I shoot a .433 round ball in mine, barrel little under sized it will shoot a .440 w .10 patch but very tight. To tight for hunting dangerous game so does that make mine a 57 or 51 ga

wind said:
I shoot a .433 round ball in mine, barrel little under sized it will shoot a .440 w .10 patch but very tight. To tight for hunting dangerous game so does that make mine a 57 or 51 ga

Ball diameter must equal bore diameter to measure gauge....The size of projectile you shoot out of the gun is irrelevant when calculating guage.

Well I've never done a string of shots to see, but I finished the gun just right after our muzzleloader season an wanted to get in the woods with it so I did two shots at 33 yards 60 gr 3f. Ten thousand patch mink oil off hand an the holes were touching that was good enough for me (real good for me)

nhmoose said:
muamero said:
Teach a man how to fish!

And he will sit in a boat drinking beer all day!

What's wrong with that?...Got to keep the folks employed.....
The bottle maker
The cap maker
The hop grower
The brewer
The barley farmer
The maltster
The bar tender
The beer cooler maker
The coozie maker
The ice maker
........The list goes on.... :haha:

Latest posts