• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 cal question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All others things being equal I’d rather have a bigger ball, than a faster ball.

.45 is absolutely fine for hunting, I use two different.40’s often. OP you should consider a .50 as an option for your daughter. Load a .50 ball over 45 or 50 grains of powder and you have a fine deer load that shoots very soft.

For years in Wy I hunted all big game with a .45 using a patched round ball. I hate to use the phrase but shot place meant is essential with all calibers. Elk, deer, both whitetail and mule deer and also antelope will go down with a well placed shot from a .45 using a round ball. Mine shot the R.E.A.L. bullet quite well also.

94FE3ECC-DA98-4827-BE8F-F27249FCB132.jpeg

Here is my current stable of .45’s.

The top gun was originally a .32 calibre Dixie GunWorks Tennessee Mountain Rifle. I picked it up at a Rendezvous years ago. I recently had the gun re-barreled in .45 calibre, with a 36” barrel. Since the re-barreling, the gun is very maneuverable and incredably well balanced. The gun is a tack-driver and is currently my favorite gun.

The lower gun is a TVM .45 calibre Mississippi Southern Poor Boy. I ordered this gun over 10 years ago at the Ft Bridger Rendezvous. I had fits with this ever since I got it. I sent it back to TVM twice, finally gave up because I was tired of paying the shipping and the problems were not being resolved. Then this year a lical gunsmith took a look…seriously knows his business. The gun is now a solid shooter, though I admit it still needs a bit more attention to wring out its inherent ability. So “Work in Progress”…

45 caliber bullets for center fire cartridges will not work well. The size is wrong. A 45 cal ML will have about a .450 bore. The groves will be about 0.012". That gives a groove to groove diameter of about 0.0474".

Your lead 45 cal pistol (0.452") or a rifle bullet (0.459") will be larger than the bore and less than the groove. IT will be hard to load due to the alloy and leak gas in the grooves when fired.

For a club shooting target rifle I like the 40 very much. It is large enough to be easy to manage. Light rifles are around. The amount of lead an powder is less that the 45. Going smaller to the 36 or 32, especially the 32, loading becomes fiddley.

If she wants to hunt big game, get a big bore rifle, IMHO....

You might also consider a carbine for your daughter. I once had a 50 caliber Thompson Center White Mountain Carbine. It was a very fine gun and I wish that I had not sold it.

A .45 cal. roundball may be the most versitile and useful caliber in all of muzzle loading. It is what my family has used for half a century. My wife won scores of matches. If you can find a Seneca, go for it. Nice rifle. You don't need any bullet type projectiles for most purposes.

Back