• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.45 cal. Loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misfire

32 Cal
Reaction score
Started with a .58 Zouave in 73, still shoot a .45 Hawkin spit, patch and ball rifle, Greenriver barrell. 90 grains of 3 F has worked great for 40 years, but no more black powder in my area. Looking for a load using BP substitute . Be grateful for any input.

Shall Not be infringed means its for muzzle stuffers too.
Criminal you cant buy Holy Black.
We cant either, so once a year we go to the next state and smuggle in some.

Shall Not be infringed means its for muzzle stuffers too.
Criminal you cant buy Holy Black.
We cant either, so once a year we go to the next state and smuggle in some.
Years ago, the "likker control board" would have agents in cars watching people buy larger amounts of alcohol over the border in a neighboring state. (Think PA/NJ). Then they'd follow the holiday stock-uppers back into PA and bust them. Don't think they do that anymore, but it was almost comical like an old-time movie. (The miscreants were avoiding paying Taxes!-like how they got Al Capone!)

Started with a .58 Zouave in 73, still shoot a .45 Hawkin spit, patch and ball rifle, Greenriver barrell. 90 grains of 3 F has worked great for 40 years, but no more black powder in my area. Looking for a load using BP substitute . Be grateful for any input.
My .45 calibre rifles both do very well with 55 grains of fffg. Try that as a starting point….5 grain increments above and below, you should find something solid pretty quickly.

I’ve experimented with Pyrodex P and Triple 7 3f and I usually decrease the load by 10% or so and start there. I’m not afraid to shoot equal volume of these substitutes as I would Swiss blackpowder. They are hotter than Goex but the rifles can handle it. It really just depends on what your rifle likes.

Back