• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.44 Kentucky pistol Flintlock conversion (Pedersoli?)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a .44 cal. percussion pistol that I got in 1969. I talked my Mom into helping me buy it as they wouldn't sell it to a 15 year old. I got it to use as a back up shot for my 28 gauge percussion shotgun that I hunted rabbit with. They were clearing out their muzzleloader selection at a local department store. I mostly shot rabbit shot out of it. Anyway, I got back into this game again and wanted to shoot it. I now find I kind of like flinters so I looked into converting it. It doesn't have too many markings on it and no name brand. After looking, I am pretty sure it is a Pedersoli. I found a lock at Dixie gun works and ordered it. It is basically a drop in fit. I had had to remove just a small bit of wood where the lock snugs up to the barrel. The lock bolts had been in since it was built in the 60's. Tried to be careful but the slots got a little messed up so I am going to replace them. Now it seems that the bolts are metric somewhere slightly smaller than an 8-32. And they drilled and tapped the old bolts a little at an angle. I will handle it by re tapping with an 8-32 tap.
Now when I ordered the replacement flintlock from Dixie, they said that I would need a 5/16-20 vent liner so I bought it. Well it doesn't fit the hole that the drum came out of. I can't find anyone who makes a vent liner to fit my barrel. The ones I found for a Pedersoli were 8mm with 1.25 pitch. After checking, I found mine was an 8mm by 1.0 pitch. I'm thinking I will have to make one with a bolt (which I found at the local Napa auto parts). I also found that the lock lines up with the center of the hole in the "sunset" position but a little forward towards the front edge of the pan. Should I drill the touch hole at an angle so it moves it back or just widen the pan some?

I was thinking since I have to make a vent liner that I would drill the touch hole at an angle so that the outside of it would be more towards the correct location.

Back