• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.44 ID and value

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Back with another find at a local auction. The hammer seems to be stuck at half cock. I couldn't move it at all. Cylinder and trigger won't move either. Loading rod moves throughout its entire range. One guy at the last auction pointed out a U.S Patent mark on the cylinder of an earlier gun. This one has a smooth cylinder. Sorry about the lousy pic of the marks in front of the trigger guard.

Thanks
side.jpg

arkings.jpg

markings2.jpg

It would appear from the top photo that the cylinder stop is protruding and the drag mark around the cylinder appears heavy. I’d guess, and it’s only a guess, that the stop has “jumped the rails” and has jamed the works.
Have you tried removing the cylinder axis pin and taking out the cylinder?
If the stop is jammed access is gained by taking off the trigger guard.
The trigger looks a bit funny too but that may be because the hammer is st.uck.

Last edited:
2nd on seeing if you can pull the cylinder pin after dropping the ram. If it is stuck you may have rust on the pin. That will lock things up. I bought a Pieta 58 Remington Sherif at a gun shop a few years back for $50 that was stuck. Some PB Blaster and gentle work freed it up and it works like a champ. I also have a Armi San Marco 58 Remington. It is a decent gun and no way would I part with it for $150 even if parts are non existent.

Welcome to the board, and yes - it's gonna need to be taken apart to find the issue's source, beit a loose or broken part.

Attended a gun show last weekend. A guy was walking around trying to sell an ASM brass frame 1851 Navy (not as desirable a gun as your Remington) with a broken trigger / bolt spring. Watched him finally take $60 for it.

Revolvers similar in situation to yours generally sell for about $50 - $100 at gun shows here in Northern California and Nevada.

Latest posts

Back