• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

44 Cal Loading Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just bought a Uberti 1858 Remington pistol. I plan on loading 25 gr of powder but am unsure of how to get this amount delivered. I use a cylinder type flask with a 20 gr spout for my 1851 Colt, but cannot find a 25 gr spout for it.

What is the best way to load a 25 gr charge into the Uberti?

Either buy an adjustable powder measure (what I use) or buy a 25 grn spout. If need be cut a larger one that fits to your desired length.

I agree with Carl, 25 grains is fine but the only way you're going to find the best charge for your gun is to play around with the amount of grains. For mine 18 grains is the most accurate, topped off with cream of wheat to bring the ball to the top of the chamber.

There does seem to be a thing where a lot of folk load in far more powder than they need for the job at hand.
Yes, try various loads, you will need lass than you think! ( i use 17 gr, lubed wad then ball).
Unless of course you need to stop your dinner then ramp it up!

I agree with Carl, 25 grains is fine but the only way you're going to find the best charge for your gun is to play around with the amount of grains. For mine 18 grains is the most accurate, topped off with cream of wheat to bring the ball to the top of the chamber.
justin.44 i was wondering is there any other purpose to the cream of wheat other than to bring the round ball to the top of the chamber.

I
justin.44 i was wondering is there any other purpose to the cream of wheat other than to bring the round ball to the top of the chamber
Yeah I do it in place of using a wad (cheaper) and if you are using light loads it guarantees no air space and I've heard that the closer the projectile is to the chamber mouth the smoother it goes past the forcing cone. Seems to work good.

I

Yeah I do it in place of using a wad (cheaper) and if you are using light loads it guarantees no air space and I've heard that the closer the projectile is to the chamber mouth the smoother it goes past the forcing cone. Seems to work good.
thanks for the info i will have to try it next time i am out at the range.

I shoot 38 grains in mine. .454 ball, wonder-wad and squash in on top of 38 grains of 4 F. Send the ball out at 900 plus FPS and kills deer at 72 yards. (Last one was this far away) My 1858 is stainless steel so handles this heavy load fine.

Attachments

• BP1.jpg
    BP1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 1858.png
    1858.png
    688.8 KB · Views: 128
Gyula Maszeros, Hungarian champion open-frame BP pistol shooter, shoots a Walker replica with just 30gr of 3Fg. The chambers easily hold 55gr or more, if needed.

Thanks to all for your help! For now until I get more familiar with black powder shooting, I'm going to stick with the gun manual info. That means 25gr of powder and I'm going to use 777 with a felt wad over it and topped off with a Hornady .454 round ball with Bore Butter to seal everything.

Should get the gun this afternoon and then off to the range tomorrow morning!

all you boomers out there more power to you if you love recoil and noise.
My .44 1851 Snubby Navy (fantasy gun) nicely digests 15 grain volume of FFFg Black powder or a 15 grain VOLUME of Black MZ and a .451" ball. The black powder load uses a lubed felt wad the BMZ load does not need wad or lube..
I am a to the bone a Black Gunpowder shooter, but I was directed to American Pioneer Powder and found it was as much fun as BP, but was a lot easier to clean. APP fouling is consecutive not cumulative, that is with APP you are always one shot dirty whereas with BP the fouling accumulate shot after shot.
I would recommend if you can't get BP instead of that "P" stuff try to find American Pioneer Powder, Black MZ, or Jin Shokey's Gold all the same product.
So far this year I have shot three pounds of it in various guns both cap and ball and the other kind and am completely satisfied with it.
Respectfully submitted
Bunk

"I've just bought a Uberti 1858 Remington pistol. I plan on loading 25 gr of powder but am unsure of how to get this amount delivered. I use a cylinder type flask with a 20 gr spout for my 1851 Colt, but cannot find a 25 gr spout for it."

Loading directly from the flask to the cylinder is not one of the safest ways to load a revolver and at some shoots is not allowed.

The preferred way is to transfer the powder from the flask to a powder measure and then to the cylinder.

They sell small pistol powder measurers which are adjustable from 0 to 30 grains. in 1 grain increments.

Makes finding the most accurate load in a revolver very easy.

An empty brass .38 shell makes a perfect powder measure for my 1858. I got real fancy and soldered a handle on it. I load that amount of powder (not even sure how many grains it is anymore) a felt wad and a .457 ball in mine. Just for the record, it is a lot easier to load the cylinder out of the gun with a press than it it to load it in the gun. Oh and you will need a stand for the gun, so the barrel doesn't wind up pointing at everyone on the range while you are loading.

Great advice.

You can get a nice cylinder press from Powder Inc. In fact they offer 2 of them and they will load .36 and. .44. Also with the included arbors you can load both Remington and Colts.

While the cylinder is out, you can put a quick swipe on the cylinder arbor with an oily cleaning patch and it's clean and ready to go.

Last edited:
I've just bought a Uberti 1858 Remington pistol. I plan on loading 25 gr of powder but am unsure of how to get this amount delivered. I use a cylinder type flask with a 20 gr spout for my 1851 Colt, but cannot find a 25 gr spout for it.

What is the best way to load a 25 gr charge into the Uberti?
Pour it in the cylinder. (chuckle)

Back