• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

44 Cal Loading Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loading directly from the flask after a gun has just been fired has the potential of dropping black powder onto a hot spark causing a violent explosion of the powder in the flask. In essence creating a hand grenade.

I load from a flask when loading my revolver initially. After firing I will let the revolver sit for a time before I reload to avoid a possible problem.

My method of loading uses a fifty grain shorty powder measure with the funnel top. I fill it from a can. My snubbies must be loaded off the gun so there is small chance of anything going wrong, but it only goes wrong one time with a flask.
Optionally pour the charge from the flask into a measure and then into the chamber.
Black Gunpowder is an EXPLOSIVE not a flammable solid treat it as such..
Hold Center
Bunk

I've just bought a Uberti 1858 Remington pistol. I plan on loading 25 gr of powder but am unsure of how to get this amount delivered. I use a cylinder type flask with a 20 gr spout for my 1851 Colt, but cannot find a 25 gr spout for it.

What is the best way to load a 25 gr charge into the Uberti?
20 is plenty.

Loading directly from the flask after a gun has just been fired has the potential of dropping black powder onto a hot spark causing a violent explosion of the powder in the flask. In essence creating a hand grenade.

That makes sense. Good info. The issue then is one of when the next charge is loaded, not how. Not sure I see a difference between a flask spout, a loading measure, or a 38 shell.

EDIT: after reading your post again, my understanding now is that you are describing a situation where the flask spout charge ignites in the cylinder, and that ignition then causes the powder in the flask itself to ignite also. A chain reaction, if you will.

Last edited:
Hello Alfakilo,
The difference between 25 grains in a dipper going off and a flask full is the dipper going off will require clean shorts. The flask going off will result in sad sing and deep digging or at best picking up a new nickname "lefty".
I simply load my measure out of a GOEX can with a spout the cap the spout and then charge the chamber. It is not real fast but is safe. Loading a dipper or measure out of a flask is about the same. Just keep the flask away from a chamber mouth.
Black Gunpowder is an EXPLOSIVE and treat it as such.
Welcome to the wonderful world of 1800's technology.
Hold Center
Bunk

...I simply load my measure out of a GOEX can with a spout the cap the spout and then charge the chamber. It is not real fast but is safe.

Slow but safe is good for me. Is a funnel required when using a measure to charge the cylinder (I'm thinking here about spillage)?

I would use something like the pouring spout sp000 from TotW to charge the measure. I have a funnel that threads into my flask for filling the flask that I use when pouring powder from the measure into the powder chamber. I have also done the careful pour from the measure to the chamber.

Thanks to all for the info and tips. My plan is to continue to use my CVA brass flask with a 25gr spout to hold the FFF 777 powder. I'll charge that flask spout and then pour the 25gr of powder into a Thompson Center U-View measure set to 25gr. Then close the measure funnel to level the measure and finally pour that charge into the cylinder.

Slow but sure, I hope.

Try the 50 grain adjustable with the built in spout. It came from TOW item number MAS 050.
Bunk

For a revolver I find a flask extremely handy. I simply put a finger over the spout, invert the flask and open the spring loaded valve, close the valve and turn the flask up, remove my finger and pour the powder into the cylinder or in the case of a recently fired gun into a measure or empty cartridge case and pour it into the cylinder. It is fast and works well for me.

You can load it how you want in the USA, but in the rest of the world, national and international competition rules from the MLAIC and the various national BP shooting associations say to load from pre-loaded phials made of plastic, rather than glass.

TFoley, I don't argue about loading methods enforced by a range or other group at their event. It is their's and they have the right to make the rules. If I feel the rules are unsafe or I just don't like them I guess I'm free to leave. I'm not an obstinate sort, so mostly adapt and comply.

I load from a flask when loading my revolver initially. After firing I will let the revolver sit for a time before I reload to avoid a possible problem.
Don’t most flasks have a spring loaded gate ( in the vein of the original Sykes safety valve) to close the spout from the flask body? Folks have been loading this way since that valve was developed in the British end of the world in the 19th century. Come to think of it, they are all dead aren’t they....

Back