• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

44 Cal Loading Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Golly gosh I hope those are historically correct plastic vials.
You know they just don't make plastic the way they used to.
😜

My rifle kit box with premeasured charges (ala mid 19th Century) wouldn't be allowed at most public facilities because the corked bottles are actually little corked bottles.

I have 2 cylinders for my Pietta 1858 Remington Steel Army .44 8 ". I load from a Brass flask that has the spring loaded valve. I alternate cylinders between shots.

Seems like a workable idea. The Uberti manual says to wait for one minute to allow any remaining sparks to burn out before reloading the cylinders. The caution being described in this thread sounds like a great idea for muzzle loaded weapons, maybe less so for revolvers. But better safe than sorry is hard to beat.

I'm new to black powder but not to reloading. This idea sounds great to me! 50 pre-loaded charges should makes things a bit easier at the range!
Yes they do! I keep about 200 pre-loaded tubes on hand at all times. makes it easy to go to the range and just shoot, no need to measure powder at the range. tubes are loaded with your preferred charge and a round ball acts like a cork or plug to keep the powder in the tube air tight. Simply squeeze the tube under the ball and the ball pops out, Pour the powder and ram the ball.
I use a similar type tube to hold premeasured charges and bullets for my 58 caliber muskets.
After shooting, I just reload and put them back on the shelf for next time!
if they get dirty, I just thrown them in a laundry bag and wash in the washing machine and let air dry. Just as good as new after many many years or use.

That makes sense. Good info. The issue then is one of when the next charge is loaded, not how. Not sure I see a difference between a flask spout, a loading measure, or a 38 shell.

EDIT: after reading your post again, my understanding now is that you are describing a situation where the flask spout charge ignites in the cylinder, and that ignition then causes the powder in the flask itself to ignite also. A chain reaction, if you will.
In a rifle, you always have this risk of a spark or ember setting off the fresh charge of powder and you can't always be sure things are cold unless you took the barrel off.

In a revolver, however, the chambers are open to inspection and manual clearing, which means you can verify/rectify any issues with smoldering sparks. This is why loading from a flask measure is relatively safe.

I have 2 cylinders for my Pietta 1858 Remington Steel Army .44 8 ". I load from a Brass flask that has the spring loaded valve. I alternate cylinders between shots.
Your way assures the cylinder doesn't have hot embers left, very smart. I have two cylinders as well, and hate loading from flask to measure to cylinder. Thanks friend!!!!

Yes they do! I keep about 200 pre-loaded tubes on hand at all times. makes it easy to go to the range and just shoot, no need to measure powder at the range. tubes are loaded with your preferred charge and a round ball acts like a cork or plug to keep the powder in the tube air tight. Simply squeeze the tube under the ball and the ball pops out, Pour the powder and ram the ball.
I use a similar type tube to hold premeasured charges and bullets for my 58 caliber muskets.
After shooting, I just reload and put them back on the shelf for next time!
if they get dirty, I just thrown them in a laundry bag and wash in the washing machine and let air dry. Just as good as new after many many years or use.
I'm thinking really hard about buying me some of these too!

These are to carry a pre measured load??? Not to load in cylinder????
a plastic "cartridge" contains a ball and measured powder charge. Pop out the ball, pour in the powder, ram down the ball and presto a loaded chamber. Cap and shoot very slick, very fast very safe.

I use a powder flask to fill an adjustable brass powder measure. I then slip a 30-06 case (with its case head cut-off) over the powder measure, using the modified case as a spout, and pour it into the charge hole. No chance of a surprise.
100_6740.JPG

100_6741.JPG

100_6742.JPG

100_6743.JPG
100_6744.JPG

Again, I'm just learning, so please pardon the questions. Uberti says the load range is 22-30 for the 1858 using a round ball. If I decide to load a smaller charge, how do I know when small becomes too small?
The ball won't make it out of the barrel - a very bad situation if you send another one after it....

A convenient 30 grain measure can be made from a 7.62x39 mm (AK 47 ammo) cartridge, using a new or re-sized fired case.

Cut the casing off at the shoulder, then de-burr the new mouth. This will hold 30 grains of powder. The 30-06 case mentioned above will slip over it, just as with the adjustable powder powder, as shown above.
100_6745.JPG
100_6746.JPG
100_6747.JPG
100_6748.JPG

100_6750.JPG

100_6751.JPG

Part of the answer to your question of too small a powder charge will need information as to what are you using the pistol for? Target shooting at modest distances of 10 yards to 25 yards require only a charge of 15 to 20 grains of 3fg. 5 grains of powder should send the ball out of the barrel. I would day a load of 20 grains of 3fg and 10 grains of Cream of Wheat would make a good target load for round ball.

Part of the answer to your question of too small a powder charge will need information as to what are you using the pistol for? Target shooting at modest distances of 10 yards to 25 yards require only a charge of 15 to 20 grains of 3fg. 5 grains of powder should send the ball out of the barrel. I would day a load of 20 grains of 3fg and 10 grains of Cream of Wheat would make a good target load for round ball.

Thank you for the kind if info that I'm looking for. I shoot targets only, out to 50yds.

Back