42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foot Uniforms c. 1757-1765

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Of course, doesn't me that I and my fellow British officers from "south of the border" always see eye to eye though. 😜

And that is something rather difficult to carry off in your persona. Even though the Watch fought with the British at Culloden, the Officers of the Watch probably would not have been fully trusted by their British peers. At least not for a while and perhaps until after they/you would have been in battle together.

I forget which member of Parliament said it during the period, but he basically said the British were sending "their" Barbarians to fight against the Barbarians in the Colonies, during the FIW.

Gus

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
And that is something rather difficult to carry off in your persona. Even though the Watch fought with the British at Culloden, the Officers of the Watch probably would not have been fully trusted by their British peers. At least not for a while and perhaps until after they/you would have been in battle together.

I forget which member of Parliament said it during the period, but he basically said the British were sending "their" Barbarians to fight against the Barbarians in the Colonies, during the FIW.

Gus
Oh I have no doubt there was some suspicion and bad blood still between the two for quite some time. It is important to note that the only involvement of the Watch in the 1745 rising was by three companies raised in 1745, one of which was nearly wiped out at Prestonpans, one I believe deserted prior to Prestonpans (possibly refusing to fight fellow highlanders?), and another which saw little action at Culloden (reportedly held in reserve due to mistrust). What was left of these three companies were then disbanded in 1748. The majority of the regiment was held in England during all of this in anticipation of a French invasion and then sent back to Flanders and Ireland. It's also cited that they were held there due to mistrust in sending them to Scotland to quell a highland rising.

I've read the quote you're speaking of before and I think it is probably a pretty accurate assessment of the situation. There were almost certainly members of the 42nd with Jacobite sympathies or at the very least a hesitation or unwillingness to fight them, very similar to the feelings of many during our own revolution or Civil War. Not long after the rising I believe even the son of Lord George Murray, the most prominent Jacobite commander, was given a commission in the 42nd. I also think there were plenty of British politicians that were more than happy to ship off thousands of military age highland men with questionable loyalties to fight in foreign lands and keep them far away from Scotland and any wild ideas of another possible rising.

I think too often the Watch is painted as a through and through loyal to the crown British regiment raised to police and suppress Scotland (I too used to believe this), which I just don't believe to be the case anymore. Yes the independent companies were originally raised to help suppress or at least police the highlands, but by the 1730s-1740s I believe the makeup of the regiment was probably a pretty diverse group of loyalties. I think the 1743 mutiny is pretty good evidence of this given that the reason for the mutiny was that they believed they were to ONLY serve in Scotland. That to me says that at least 200+ of the regiment may have seen themselves more as "Scottish" than "British".

I tend to believe that the regiment was made up of a group of men with wide ranging loyalties all bound by the same or similar highland culture (at least initially). It seems at least early on a driving factor in their ability to recruit with ease was the fact that it was a HIGHLAND regiment representing the highland way of life. Judging from the sources the other highland regiments saw similar ease of recruitment early on, and some recruits were even lied to about signing up for a highland regiment when really it was just an ordinary regiment of foot.

Just my thoughts on it though, mostly speculation of course, since unfortunately we can't speak to any of them.

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
To get back on the topic of uniforms a bit here. My little Outlander photoshoot did have a bit of a purpose. I was sort of testing waistcoat and jacket length with the great kilt. I believe the waistcoat I will be making will be a bit longer than the one I was wearing I'm the photos and will have to be unbuttoned at the bottom to fit over the excess material of the kilt as seen in period depictions. I think the length of the jacket was just about right though.

Thoughts? Perhaps just slightly longer for the regimental?
VideoCapture_20210913-141603.jpg

VideoCapture_20210913-140902.jpg

Reaction score
How does the length compare to Capt. Campell's Jacket?

1616732914973.png

I've lost much of my depth perception when they had to weld the detached retina back in my left eye

Gus

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
How does the length compare to Capt. Campell's Jacket?

1616732914973.png

I've lost much of my depth perception when they had to weld the detached retina back in my left eye

Gus
It looks pretty similar to me. I will probably just base the length of the regimental off the kilt jacket I'm wearing in the photos. It looks very close to the original drawings and it may be nice to have a physical example at hand.

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Had a little fun over the weekend messing around with some pieces for the 42nd uniform, some modern pieces, and other historical pieces. Mainly threw it all together for some people I know that are Outlander fans. Progress is being made, hoping to have the waistcoat and regimental for the 42nd uniform done by October 10-11 for a local event.

View attachment 94200
View attachment 94201
what are you wearing under the KILT? same as all SCOTCHMEN ware?

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Oh boy, "scotchmen" made me cringe. 😆 But I am wearing socks and shoes, thank you for your concern.
I guess that I USED A HIGHLAND LIQUID LIBATION? sorry, MEA CULPA! I guess that most people think that it is an URBAN LEGEND? just courious?

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The plaid is proving far more difficult to fade than I had anticipated (darn modern dyes). I have left it out in the sun multiple days now and washed it in hot water more than 5 times with little to no visible effect. This morning I washed it with 1 packet of Rit Color Remover, and it appears that had little to no effect as well. The box recommended at least 2 packets for a "small load" and I would consider this 5 yards of wool a large load, so I'll get some more Color Remover and try again with at least 2 packets and see what happens.

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just a wee update here. The bonnet is pretty well complete. I may replace the toorie with a slightly smaller one when I come across one but it will do for now. I sewed up a cockade myself and it came out a bit bigger than anticipated, but it's growing on me. An officer is allowed a bit of flare, no?
20210925_155257.jpg

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Another little update with some better feather droop on the bonnet and the waistcoat is now ready for buttons (pictures in a few days).
20210927_055245.jpg

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just happened to come across this. It's actually a mini figure someone painted but it's almost exactly what I'm trying to accomplish and has multiple angles. Definitely a great reference!
img_0002__sized_l.jpg

img_0004__sized_l.jpg

img_0003__sized_l (1).jpg

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Another wee update here. The waistcoat is done and the coat is starting to come together! Much like the period photos I'm sure the top and bottom 2-3 buttons will be unbuttoned when worn with the kilt and a shirt and cravat.
20211002_173037.jpg

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Getting closer to done every day! The gold cord isn't sewn on yet here, just testing how it will look. The left shoulder will also be getting a shoulder strap.
20211025_201522.jpg

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Oh, forgot to say the Ostrich Plume looks right on target as well!

Gus
Thanks, I actually ended up using a little heat from a heat gun to make it droop a little and not stand so straight up. I think it ended up looking a lot better after I did that.

Reaction score
Oh and yes, I agree with getting a smaller toorie when possible. Do you have a 42nd button on the cockade?

Yes, you can get away with more "styling" as an Officer.

One Lady in our UnCivil War group made really excellent copies of Virginia Secession Ribbons for us. These look like a cockade on top with a VA button in them and a couple ribbon "tails" that hang down. It sort of got in the way on my chest, so I wore it on the left side of my Kepi like a Cockade. Wasn't sure how it would look, but I got a lot of compliments from the Ladies on it right away, so it stayed on my Officer's Kepi.

Gus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts