42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foot Uniforms c. 1757-1765

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Little update here. Got the tartan wool in and here is my sad attempt at wearing a great kilt for the first time. Gonna take some practice...
20210528_181213.jpg

20210528_181327.jpg

The pleats in the back actually seemed to be okay. Going to have to do a little work with the hose to make them look correct, but progress is progress!

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The sword I ordered almost a year ago finally arrived. Absolutely love it so far. Haven't put it through its paces against any vile pumpkins or fiendish water melons yet though...

IMG_20210729_124348_419.jpg

IMG_20210729_124348_524.jpg

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Little update here. Got the tartan wool in and here is my sad attempt at wearing a great kilt for the first time. Gonna take some practice...
View attachment 80483
View attachment 80484

The pleats in the back actually seemed to be okay. Going to have to do a little work with the hose to make them look correct, but progress is progress!
The diced hose will look better when you get the red tapes to hold them up and fold the tops over onto them.

Gus

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The diced hose will look better when you get the red tapes to hold them up and fold the tops over onto them.

Gus
Yeah that's what I was thinking after I got them and tried them on. I'm going to see if I can find some red tape at Joanns today.

Which sword did you wind up getting?

Gus
This is actually the Hanwei one. Not the blunted training version. It did have the red cloth inside the guard but I removed it. Just felt like it took up a lot of hand space and would just end up sweaty, dirty, and gross looking anyway. I actually like the look of it better without the red cloth too.

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I was thinking after I got them and tried them on. I'm going to see if I can find some red tape at Joanns today.

This is actually the Hanwei one. Not the blunted training version. It did have the red cloth inside the guard but I removed it. Just felt like it took up a lot of hand space and would just end up sweaty, dirty, and gross looking anyway. I actually like the look of it better without the red cloth too.
I suggest measuring around your leg at the top of the calf where the tape will go and at least doubling, if not tripling the length for each leg and then times two for both legs. Better they are too long than too short. Now why would I know that? I was cussing all the way back to the fabric store and back when I didn't think of that the first time I bought tape.

Gus

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I suggest measuring around your leg at the top of the calf where the tape will go and at least doubling, if not tripling the length for each leg and then times two for both legs. Better they are too long than too short. Now why would I know that? I was cussing all the way back to the fabric store and back when I didn't think of that the first time I bought tape.

Gus
Aye, I nearly didn't get enough for my leggin ties for my other outfit. I'll measure those before I go and make sure I get enough.

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Finding a decent affordable epaulette/aiguillette option is proving more difficult than I imagined. I thought I had found an absolute winner but it appears the gold option of the epaulette is out of stock (I have emailed them to confirm that). These are I believe the last things I need to order to have a functional mostly complete uniform I believe (still need to sew the waistcoat and regimental which will be started soon).

Anyone have any thoughts on other places to look for these two items? I have tried all the normal outlets I could think of. This is the epaulette/aiguillette I was looking at getting:

Epaulette

Aiguillette

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Finding a decent affordable epaulette/aiguillette option is proving more difficult than I imagined. I thought I had found an absolute winner but it appears the gold option of the epaulette is out of stock (I have emailed them to confirm that). These are I believe the last things I need to order to have a functional mostly complete uniform I believe (still need to sew the waistcoat and regimental which will be started soon).

Anyone have any thoughts on other places to look for these two items? I have tried all the normal outlets I could think of. This is the epaulette/aiguillette I was looking at getting:

Epaulette

Aiguillette
I'm not referring this manufacturer, as I know nothing about them. However, I wonder if you have seen these?

Shoulder Board Epaulette using Gold MYLAR | Etsy

Gus

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Looks like it should! It's hard to see the epaulette in most of the depictions of officers of the regiment but it appears to me to be fairly thin and braided like that. I'm sure I can make it work, and at that price, if something better rears its head I won't feel bad about replacing it!

Frasers78th

32 Cal
Reaction score
I guess mainly what I'm saying is, I believe with a higher percentage of certainty that, at some point in his time with the 42nd, Captain Stewart had a jacket with blue facings, and while it's possible he had a jacket with buff facings from 1757-58 to maybe as late as spring of 1761, I am far less certain about that.
Good day,

My name is Jeff, and in 2017 I organized an online blog dedicated to Fraser's 78th Foot, 1757-1763, utilizing original source material. I would post the link but not sure if that is authorized. After discovering your thread dedicated to the uniforms of the 42nd Foot, while there are quite a number of entries throughout the thread I would like to comment on, I simply picked this random post for my introduction.

Let me begin by saying that I have original photographed copies of the 42nd Foot Accounts Book, Aug. 1758 - 1764. More specifically, the book details accounts paid/received for the regiment, including pages set up for each officer. Topics primarily include recruiting, clothing, and subsistence, but other incidental entries are located throughout. In total there are 306 photographed pages.

- With regards to 42nd Foot lace, I have yet to see a line item entry specifying what color was used, though still looking through the images. Most entries (from individual officer pages) simply read: "...the cost of a suit of laced regimentals £8.8s." For what it's worth, there is evidence the 78th Foot may not have initially had lacing in 1757, but definitely were laced in subsequent years. [TNA, WO 7/26, Dec. 10 & 18, 1759].

- 42 Foot Account Book, Page 100, 1 November 1759, a gentleman named Edward Smith was paid £57.15s for providing "buff slings for the 7 companys." This is most likely referencing the seven additional companies recruited.

- I can also confirm regimental coats were cut down to make the waistcoats, which was an order issued to all three Highland regiments. [Office of Military Agent John Calcraft. "Regulation of Cloathing for a Highland Regt. of Foot, c.1757"].

From separate files:

- Regarding regimental facings, Ensign Alexander Grant (77th Foot) purchased "green cloth for lapels and cuffs," in January 1757, when the regiment was originally recruiting, and "3.5 yards silver lace for his regimental coat and waistcoat laced and looped" [NRS GD248/86/3, item 2]. Major James Clephane (78th Foot) purchased white material for his facings, when he arrived to Halifax [NRS GD125/22/17, p. 1-4], which insinuates he may not have had time to order a jacket in Scotland due to his busy recruiting schedule. The latter purely speculative on my part.

- Lieutenant John Robertson (42nd Foot) purchased 4.5 yards tartan for his "phelabeg." [NRS GD132/395]. And we know the 78th Foot also utilized the philabeg. [Captain John Nairne, "Order Books, 1762." LAC, R5991-0-3-E, MG23-GIII 23].

I noticed you have not discussed procuring a halberd, which all three Highland regiments were issued. 😁

Let me know should you have any other questions.

Regards,
Jeff

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Good day,

My name is Jeff, and in 2017 I organized an online blog dedicated to Fraser's 78th Foot, 1757-1763, utilizing original source material. I would post the link but not sure if that is authorized. After discovering your thread dedicated to the uniforms of the 42nd Foot, while there are quite a number of entries throughout the thread I would like to comment on, I simply picked this random post for my introduction.

Let me begin by saying that I have original photographed copies of the 42nd Foot Accounts Book, Aug. 1758 - 1764. More specifically, the book details accounts paid/received for the regiment, including pages set up for each officer. Topics primarily include recruiting, clothing, and subsistence, but other incidental entries are located throughout. In total there are 306 photographed pages.

- With regards to 42nd Foot lace, I have yet to see a line item entry specifying what color was used, though still looking through the images. Most entries (from individual officer pages) simply read: "...the cost of a suit of laced regimentals £8.8s." For what it's worth, there is evidence the 78th Foot may not have initially had lacing in 1757, but definitely were laced in subsequent years. [TNA, WO 7/26, Dec. 10 & 18, 1759].

- 42 Foot Account Book, Page 100, 1 November 1759, a gentleman named Edward Smith was paid £57.15s for providing "buff slings for the 7 companys." This is most likely referencing the seven additional companies recruited.

- I can also confirm regimental coats were cut down to make the waistcoats, which was an order issued to all three Highland regiments. [Office of Military Agent John Calcraft. "Regulation of Cloathing for a Highland Regt. of Foot, c.1757"].

From separate files:

- Regarding regimental facings, Ensign Alexander Grant (77th Foot) purchased "green cloth for lapels and cuffs," in January 1757, when the regiment was originally recruiting, and "3.5 yards silver lace for his regimental coat and waistcoat laced and looped" [NRS GD248/86/3, item 2]. Major James Clephane (78th Foot) purchased white material for his facings, when he arrived to Halifax [NRS GD125/22/17, p. 1-4], which insinuates he may not have had time to order a jacket in Scotland due to his busy recruiting schedule. The latter purely speculative on my part.

- Lieutenant John Robertson (42nd Foot) purchased 4.5 yards tartan for his "phelabeg." [NRS GD132/395]. And we know the 78th Foot also utilized the philabeg. [Captain John Nairne, "Order Books, 1762." LAC, R5991-0-3-E, MG23-GIII 23].

I noticed you have not discussed procuring a halberd, which all three Highland regiments were issued. 😁

Let me know should you have any other questions.

Regards,
Jeff
Great info there! I believe it is okay to post links here and I would love to have a look at your blog. I don't personally have the original documents but the sources I have been using secondary sources in which the information is based on the primary sources.

The buff slings are interesting as I've not heard that mentioned that early, but it also isn't that surprising. There was a switch sometime before the AWI I believe and the "7 Companies" would have been the most up to date of all the companies, while I believe the original 10 companies raised would have been the most outdated in uniform and equipment.

I also cannot confirm 100% with the sources, but it is my firm belief based on clues in the sources that by the spring of 1761 the entirety of the 42nd would have been in blue faced regimentals. There being a time in 1758-59 when 10 companies would have been in buffed faced and 3 in blue, with the original 10 receiving new uniforms while wintered in Montreal in 1760.

This is of course my speculation based on the sources I have. I would be VERY interested to hear if you manage to dig up anything else! Thanks for your input!

Frasers78th

32 Cal
Reaction score
With regards to the buff slings and the Second Battalion Royal Americans, Governor James Murray, in September 1763 wrote (presumably to the commanding officer, but not specifically stated):

"...It is long since I reported the accoutrements of the Second Batt. of your Royal American Regt. unservisible [sic]. I hope you will as soon as possible order your agent to provide a compleat [sic] new set, and I flatter myself you will make choise [sic] of Buff rather than tanned leather accoutrements, which by experience we know to be good for nothing, it is true they are cheaper, and for that reason perhaps were prefer'd [sic] to the Buff when the Regt. was raised, and had no prospect of standing longer than such stuff would last, but the case is now different, and I shall very chearfully [sic] pay for the best set of accoutrements which can be purchased in England." [LAC, W.O. 34, vol. 2, No. 102, dated 2 September 1763].

From the above extract, it sounds as though each commanding officer may have had a choice in what they ordered.

Separately, in July 1757, nine additional companies for the three Highland regiments were raised for service. Unfortunately, accoutrements mentioned are (among other things) "side pistols and straps, and cartouche boxes and straps" for all the men. [LAC, W.O. 4, vol. 54, p. 233, dated 21 July 1757].

I will take note of anything "royal" in the 42nd accounting books and let you know.

Regards
Jeff
frasers78th.blogspot.com

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
With regards to the buff slings and the Second Battalion Royal Americans, Governor James Murray, in September 1763 wrote (presumably to the commanding officer, but not specifically stated):

"...It is long since I reported the accoutrements of the Second Batt. of your Royal American Regt. unservisible [sic]. I hope you will as soon as possible order your agent to provide a compleat [sic] new set, and I flatter myself you will make choise [sic] of Buff rather than tanned leather accoutrements, which by experience we know to be good for nothing, it is true they are cheaper, and for that reason perhaps were prefer'd [sic] to the Buff when the Regt. was raised, and had no prospect of standing longer than such stuff would last, but the case is now different, and I shall very chearfully [sic] pay for the best set of accoutrements which can be purchased in England." [LAC, W.O. 34, vol. 2, No. 102, dated 2 September 1763].

From the above extract, it sounds as though each commanding officer may have had a choice in what they ordered.

Separately, in July 1757, nine additional companies for the three Highland regiments were raised for service. Unfortunately, accoutrements mentioned are (among other things) "side pistols and straps, and cartouche boxes and straps" for all the men. [LAC, W.O. 4, vol. 54, p. 233, dated 21 July 1757].

I will take note of anything "royal" in the 42nd accounting books and let you know.

Regards
Jeff
frasers78th.blogspot.com
Wait, is the entry about buff slings referring to the 60th "royal americans" or the 42nd "royal Highlanders"?

Frasers78th

32 Cal
Reaction score
The original buff entry I sent purchased from Edward Smith is for the 42nd Foot. The 60th R.A. is a separate entry.

The 60th soldiered-on after the war, made up of augments from the 47th and 78th Foot when those regiments disbanded. Apparently Governor Murray had reported their tanned leather accoutrements unserviceable.

Regards,
Jeff

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The original buff entry I sent purchased from Edward Smith is for the 42nd Foot. The 60th R.A. is a separate entry.

The 60th soldiered-on after the war, made up of augments from the 47th and 78th Foot when those regiments disbanded. Apparently Governor Murray had reported their tanned leather accoutrements unserviceable.

Regards,
Jeff
Ah okay, I got ya now. Yeah, would definitely love to hear anything else you happen to come across!

Latest posts