• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SOLD .40cal percussion Vincent rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Need to sell my .40 cal rifle. The barrel is 36" long, overall it is 52" long, weighs about 8 lbs. It is super accurate, and was my "offhand" target rifle. It has a partridge front sight, and what looks like a T/C adjustable rear sight. The gent I bought it from told me it was one of Floyd Butlers rifles. The gent is gone now, so I have no proof. Although Floyd did live only a few miles from here. Someone also suggested it is a Vincent rifle, I hate to sell it but It does not get used anymore. I would much prefer to deal in person, but I will ship if necessary. I would like to get $700. plus shipping which could be around $40. or $50. Thanks for looking

Attachments

• 20200828_082729.jpg
    20200828_082729.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 231
The barrel is perfect, clean and sharp lands and deep grooves.
20210227_083228.jpg
20210227_082956.jpg
20210227_083029.jpg
The lock works fine, no rust or corrosion anywhere. This is a very accurate rifle with .395 round ball and a .012 patch. Barrel has been coned, so balls can be started with thumb pressure. I live in Southwest Vermont. I will add more pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Floyd Butler made it himself, there should be a fiddle head carved somewhere. That was his signature.

ADK Bigfoot

Thanks for the info. I bought it from my next door neighbor here in Poultney. He died in 2019 at age 94, great guy, he was known locally as the "muskrat trapper". He had lots of great stories as you can imagine. Some of my favorite trips were driving him around and listening to his stories. I miss him a lot.
20210227_082956.jpg

He didn't tell me Floyd had made it, but that he got it from him, or his heirs. I wish I had asked more questions. Floyd Butler lived in Raceville, NY. Its only about 6 miles from here.

This gun should not still be listed. It should have been jumped on! I'm up to my ears in builds and such as it is or I would have snapped it up. Vincents are over the top great looking guns. :thumb: You got a beautiful gun there!
Is that a poured pewter nose cap? Can you tell I'm talking myself into it? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
WOW, that is so extremely nice and I’m not a huge fan of half stocks.............I don’t own a .40 ......yet........hmmmmmmm. Greg

I need to mention that this is a "offhand" rifle. Length of pull is 13 1/4" from the front set trigger, to the deepest part of the curved buttplate. This gun was designed for shooting standing up. The curved buttplate is hooked on your upper arm at the armpit. The barrel is long and "hangs" just right ! At 8 lbs, and with a 35 or 40 grains of 3F, and a .395 rb you will not notice the recoil. I think it would make a great squirrel rifle.
Years ago there was a very active muzzleloading range here in Tinmouth, VT. All shooting was offhand at ranges from 25 to 200.yards. I'm sure thats why this rifle is so accurate, and why it has a adjustable rear sight.
Floyd Butler was a local gunsmith and probably either owned or worked on this rifle. He was written about by Ned Roberts in his great book, " The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle". I have no provenance, only a mention from the neighbor I bought it from. But he was not the type of man to make up stories, if you know what I mean.

Need a little more info about what you mean.
LOP, is that from the rear set trigger or the front main trigger?
Thanks
Maurice

I need to mention that this is a "offhand" rifle. Length of pull is 13 1/4" from the front set trigger, to the deepest part of the curved buttplate. This gun was designed for shooting standing up. The curved buttplate is hooked on your upper arm at the armpit. The barrel is long and "hangs" just right ! At 8 lbs, and with a 35 or 40 grains of 3F, and a .395 rb you will not notice the recoil. I think it would make a great squirrel rifle.
Years ago there was a very active muzzleloading range here in Tinmouth, VT. All shooting was offhand at ranges from 25 to 200.yards. I'm sure thats why this rifle is so accurate, and why it has a adjustable rear sight.
Floyd Butler was a local gunsmith and probably either owned or worked on this rifle. He was written about by Ned Roberts in his great book, " The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle". I have no provenance, only a mention from the neighbor I bought it from. But he was not the type of man to make up stories, if you know what I mean.
For $700 shipped I will take it.

I offered to buy it for his price but now he doesn't want to ship it because of the wooden crate nonsense some bonehead convinced him is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back